4X5 PTO solenoid replacement

/ 4X5 PTO solenoid replacement #1  

cef2lion

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4410, JD455
I replaced the PTO solenoid on my 455 trying to correct a no enagage PTO issue. Didn't fix it but had a question about the install. I had to remove the seat pan and lift the fuel tank to be able to get a wrench on the solenoid stem.

When I installed the new stem the gasket marked 8 never touched the tranny case and the armature became tight. I could still move the gasket around. I removed and installed the old armature. Same issue. I pulled out the solenoid valve guts and tried again same results. Verify assembly via diagram. I ended up using two numer 8 gaskets. Not sure what isn't right here.

Attachments

• ptosolenoid.gif
    ptosolenoid.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,439
   / 4X5 PTO solenoid replacement #2  
Sounds like you are in the weeds there friend. I haven't messed with that, nor do I have that model of tractor.

2 gaskets, sure doesn't sound right? I hope you get it figured out

/ 4X5 PTO solenoid replacement #3  
Wish I could help, but don't know. I will say the service manual leaves a lot unsaid. I just changed out the plastic cam gear in my 425, and the manual had limited usefulness. I'd never done anything like that to an engine. It wasn't too bad though, other than a stuck bolt where the motor mount attaches to the crank case cover. I had to buy a special socket to get it loose. Replaced the cam gear, push rods, tappets, water pump, governor gear, and oil pump gear, plus all seals. Bought valve springs and seals, but haven't done that yet. As long as it's not burning oil, I'm going to wait.

Good luck. Not sure what is wrong, but doubt that 2 gaskets is the answer. Hope it holds up.

/ 4X5 PTO solenoid replacement
I printed out the solenoid removal and installation pages from the service manual. Going to take it back apart and put back together per those instructions and see if it all goes back together using just one #8 washer as it should be. Service manual says to torque the armature but you need the JDDG757A special socket.