JD 145 Automatic series 100/no forward or reverse/jammed drive belt

/ JD 145 Automatic series 100/no forward or reverse/jammed drive belt #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
I have a JD 145 Automatic 100 series, 48 inch deck, 22HP B&S engine with 87 hours.
The problem is that the drive belt (not the belt that runs the three mower blades) from the engine upper pully to the rear differential transmission pulley has jumped up and off of the diff/trans pulley and is wedged between the diff/trans pulley and the black plastic fan.
I found that if I apply the parking brake it takes the strain off of the idler pulleys and slacks the belt but not quite enough to unravel the belt that is jammed in between the trans fan and trans pulley. Also-the idler pulleys have keeper tab shields so I can't just de-thread the belt there without removing something in that system.
I have the mower lifted up from the rear on the chain hoist with both rear wheels removed so I'm ready to get on with the repair. You can see that the belt is a little frayed so I will buy a new belt ASAP.
How can I get more slack to free up the existing condition?
How do I go about re-threading a new belt?
Once re-threaded, is there an adjustment to counteract this from happening again or is it just a worn out stretched belt? If that's the case I guess I can just cut it and pull it out that way but I still need to thread a new one.
The operator's manual offers nothing.

Attachments

• TRANS PULLEY.JPG
    TRANS PULLEY.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 450
  • IDLER PULLEYS.JPG
    IDLER PULLEYS.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 805
   / JD 145 Automatic series 100/no forward or reverse/jammed drive belt
Today I went to the local JD dealer where I bought it, picked up the belt and talked to the shop foreman about how to go about installing it. Found out there is A LOT of removal to do before the belt goes back on. All fittings are !@#$%^& metric which I have very little of toolwise:mad: Also, throw away the two center idler pulleys and install new ones. I understood all of which needed to be done but it was going to be a monumental task so I asked him how much of his shop time was involved and he answered "One hour to replace both belts since the mower deck needs to come off". I'll have it over there first thing in the morning.:eek: