John Deere L118 Engine problems

/ John Deere L118 Engine problems #1  

nickb1968

I have a John Deere L118 lawn tractor.
It was running fine, then it stalled. When I restarted, it was running extremely rough, not enough power to mow, and only to drive very slowly. It had previously been blowing black smoke, (especially when I put it in reverse and pushed the button to keep the PTO on)
It would barely run on full throttle, and when I pushed the choke forward it stalled.
so,
I immediately replaced the spark plugs. (the old ones were black)
and I removed the air filter to examine. It seemed clean.
Same symptoms.
I took the spark plugs out and examined them. The left one was BLACK, and it was just replaced a few minutes ago !!
I sprayed small engine cleaner into the cylinders, and turned it over with the Left spark plug removed.
IT STARTED, and ran exactly the same, which leads me to believe that the left cylinder is NOT functioning.
is it NOT getting air?
I also noticed that the fuel filter only has a bit of fuel in it. Should it be full at all times?

:confused:

/ John Deere L118 Engine problems #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ John Deere L118 Engine problems #3  
:welcome: to TBN! I also have an L118. The fuel filter doesnt stay full, it is usually about half or even a little less. Something isn't burning right in your engine and the black smoke makes me think it is also burning oil. Could be bad news for your engine from what I am hearing. :(

/ John Deere L118 Engine problems #4  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I moved your thread to the John Deere Lawn & Garden Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ John Deere L118 Engine problems #5  
I had exactly the same problem with an L120, had a few mechanics look at it everything looked OK. Finally I was ready to scrap it when I ran across this video on youtube that says it is a valve adjustment. I followed the directions and sure enough the rocker arm had come loose. Replaced it and it runs like a champ. Search on Youtube for "Lawn Mower Repair Valve Adjustment V-Twin" .

Hope this helps.

/ John Deere L118 Engine problems #6  
Blue smoke is oil burning. Black smoke and the fact that the plug turns black means that the fuel is not burning completely in that cylinder. Either an ignition problem, flooding problem (running rich). After checking spark and fuel, compression would be next to see if you have valve or head gasket problems.

/ John Deere L118 Engine problems #7  
DUMB QUESTION? IS IT OBVIOUS THAT THE ROCKER ARM CAME LOOSE. MY MOWER WILL NOT START. MOWER BECAME SLOWER AND SLOWER THEN NOTHING!