JD 140 charging

/ JD 140 charging #1  

Rbslh

Tractor
John Deere 140
I have a 1968 140 with a 12 hp k301 that a got from a friend. The only real issue it had was it didn't charge. After a new regulator and ignition switch it is now charging. It has a 10 amp stator that has the coil pack on it. The coil pack was replaced in the past with an external coil. The issue I am having is that it seems to be drawing excessive amps. The coil is pulling 6 amps and the pto draws about 3.3 amps. So when at full power and the pto engaged the amp meter shows it not charging. Seems like 6 amps is a lot for a coil to pull. Does this sound right or should I change the coil? Any thoughts?

/ JD 140 charging #2  
Id reccomend the purchase of a service manual. 6 amps on the coil sounds excessive. Make sure you dont have any bare wires or anything going to ground that shouldnt be.

/ JD 140 charging
Ok thanks for the help. I changed the coil and the new one pulls only around 4 amps. It now is in the positive with the clutch engaged. Rh

/ JD 140 charging #4  
nice. glad it worked out. you can find a service manual at deerelydeparted. its a repro, but better than what ebay or the dealer will charge you. its printed on good quality stock.