Model 111 drive belt replacement

/ Model 111 drive belt replacement #1  

rabbitrandy

Tractor
MF 165 / Ford 3400 loader
I have a JD Model 111. The motor is a 1983 11 horse according to the serial number. I am sure this is the original motor so this should be about the age of the mower.

The motion drive belt has shreaded. I have never replaced it but have replaced the deck belts in the past.

The owner/operator manual advises to contact your local JD dealer for replacement. [not happening]

This machine has a electric clutch that engages the belt for the deck. The motion/drive belt is on a pulley just above that on the shaft that drops down from the engine.

The belt then snakes it way towards the back of the mower to the transmission that has a side mounted fan and pulley that the belt goes around.

It appears the mower was built around the belt and pulleys.

Can anyone lead me to step by step directions for replacement.

thanks randy

/ Model 111 drive belt replacement
I found some advise during a Google inquirey. The guy said take a hoist or come-a-long and jack the mower up to the ceiling. Then everything is right there in your face. Start taking things out of the way.

Worked for me!! Idle pulley failed so belt got shredded. Had to remove a few things that the belt crossed over and under but nothing big.

Just some advise that might work for the next guy.

Bye the way, drain the gas first and take the battery out. dont ask how i know...........

Last edited:
   / Model 111 drive belt replacement #3  
sounds like you have a hydro tranny, here's all Deere put in the service manual on the belt change - Hope it helps some

scan0002.jpg

that is it exactly. thanks for your help.

I went to my parts guy this morning. Usually has a part for everything. couldnt match the idler pully nor the belt.

Trying to avoid the Deere shop, their prices are high. guess i have no choice on this one.

where did you get that picture? can you send it to me where i can enlarge it? I'm not sure about the routing of the belt since it was broke and didnt come off in one piece. thanks randy

/ Model 111 drive belt replacement #6  
Randy, the picture is out of the Deere Service manual, I blew the picture up, but the one in the book is so poor that it looses at the detail, I went through the whole manual and this is the only one in it. You should be able to see where the belt rubbed things as it ran, that may help guide you. Sorry I'm no more help than that

thanks for all your help and advise. i got it on and did what you said to look for rubbing. the belt has to make a twist from the front pto to the back side mounted pulley on the tranny. just wasnt sure about it being pulled to the side alittle by the twist. seems ok though. thanks again. randy