John Deere Electrical Problem

/ John Deere Electrical Problem #1  

firemtnranch

My garden tractor has been intermittently shutting off, now it cranks but will not start. I have checked all the cutout switches they are good. I changed the plug as we had a bought with some old fuel. Ran fine afterword except for the intermittent shut off problem. Any ideas to try? Thanks

/ John Deere Electrical Problem #2  
You don't say what model you have but I will take a guess and say that you are having an intermittent fuel solenoid problem. quiting when it gets hot or if a briggs maybe the plastic tip is coming off and shutting off your fuel supply.

/ John Deere Electrical Problem
It has the 16 hp single cylinder kohler engine, but I will check the solenoid and check for spark in the morning.

/ John Deere Electrical Problem #4  
If you have don't have spark, then the electronic ignition module may have failed, or possibly the coil has failed. Either of those could die slowly, causing the intermittent shut off problems before they died completely. Sometimes they initially fail only after the engine is hot.

It is difficult to check the integrity of the electronic ignition, but there are some tests you can do that will partially check the integrity of the coil. However, on some engines the ignition module and coil are combined as one part.

If you do have spark, then I think RANDYT's post about the fuel solenoid is a good idea, but I can't say for sure that your engine has or does not have one.

Tell us what model the mower is. Others on here probably have the same machine, and may have had similar problems. And some of us will look up the parts diagram on-line for your machine so we can give you better suggestions. The more information you provide, the better the responses you will get on this forum.

I was not home last night It is a GT225 with the Kohler 15 hp CV15S Spec#41571. I have to run our this am to go help a friend with a welding project. I will check back latter this am. Thanks for the help.

Checked the spark this AM, Good. Cleaned the wire on the fuel solinoid it is working and now starts. Still think I may have an issue as I gave the carb a shot of ether to check the fuel yesterday and it didnt start. So we see this afternoon what happens when we mow. Thanks again for the help, we repost the results of the mow test.

/ John Deere Electrical Problem #7  
another thing to check on a kohler is the oil pressure switch. should be near oil filter, unplug the wire then try starting. most kohlers will not give a spark till the oil pressure is high enough.

/ John Deere Electrical Problem #8  
The GT225 does not have a low oil pressure shut down feature.