John Deere 445 Charging Problem

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #1  

Per

Tractor
John Deere 445
The charging system on my 445 quit, but I'm not sure if it has an alternator, generator or magneto. I can't see anything being driven by the fan belt. Where do I start looking?
Thanks,
Per

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Lawn & Garden Forum. :)

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #4  
The 445 should have a v-twin Kawasaki right? It was common for the voltage regulator mounted on the frame below the steering wheel to fail. It's a grey box the size of a deck of cards with cooling fins on it. But before you replace it make sure the battery terminals and fuses are good.

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #5  
I have the tech manual in a PDF file if you'd like a copy shoot me your email

Joe

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #6  
The 445 should have a v-twin Kawasaki right? It was common for the voltage regulator mounted on the frame below the steering wheel to fail. It's a grey box the size of a deck of cards with cooling fins on it. But before you replace it make sure the battery terminals and fuses are good.

With a new battery, good fuses, clean terminals, I have a charging voltage of 13 volts. The head lights at night are very dim. If I try to start the tractor 2-3 times in a 10 minute period I will have run down the battery. Does this sound like the voltage regulator? Thanks.

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #7  
Any chance I could bug you for a copy of the 445 (Lawn and garden) tech manual?

Thanks, George.

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #8  
Hi, could send me a copy of the pdf for the 445 john deere charging problem

/ John Deere 445 Charging Problem #9  
I fixed a friend's JD that wasn't charging. Took a while to find the problem. Turns out that the connector to the regulator had developed a poor connection which in turn cause the connector to overheat which caused no or poor connection.

The regulator is a sob to get out but in order to get at the connector to make sure it has a good connection, remove it. Remember to disconnect the battery first.

Look at the connector, it should be a white opaque color. If it has brown or black color around one or more of the connectors, there is the problem. I was able to repair the unit I worked on by removing the terminals from the connector housing, pinching the terminal back into it's original shape and the put it back into the connector. Also cleaned all the terminals on the regulator. Get them nice and shinny.

Good Luck

Richard