John Deere 165 wont start

/ John Deere 165 wont start #1  

tokey

Tractor
John deere 165 hydro
I am trying to figure out why I cant get my mower to run.

It has a history of valve issues so that is where I started.

I took the engine apart to make sure the valve seat had not come loose. It had not.

While I had it open I decided to make sure to lap the valves. Nice even ring all the way around the valve. I also made sure that the distance from the valves to the push rods where within spec. They are.

While I was at it I took the carb and just gave it a good bath in some carb sray to make sure everything was open.

I put it all back together and tried to start it.

Nothing. it will crank and crank but it will not turn over. I replaced the spark plug and checked for spark. all good there.

I cannot even get anything more than a back fire through the carb when I pour gas directly in to the carb.

I am at a loss here. While I am waiting on replies I am going to go back out and recheck my work. But honestly I have no idea where to look.

The coil, the ignitor the starter and the battery were all replaced last year..

Any ideas?

I am running a john deere 165 hydro with a kawasaki fb460v engine.

/ John Deere 165 wont start
no one has any ideas huh

/ John Deere 165 wont start #3  
I know its been a bit and hope you found an answer to your question

then i hope youll share with me, because i am having the exact same problem...

hope your still active and reply

Id appreciate any help i can find, i was actually supposed to trade this thing up to a newer deere tomorrow and this caught me off guard. Usually it fires right up but today when i went to put it on the trailer, it just turns over but no fire. i tried to spray some starting fluid and it just coughs it out the carb where the air cleaner would normally be, but i have it removed so i could spray a bit of starting fluid in it.

/ John Deere 165 wont start #4  
:welcome:

/ John Deere 165 wont start #5  
I had the same issue and posted the same question. After Lots of feedback, a senior member of the Fourm told me it was the care and to tear it down and clean it real good. I did and made sure I blew out every little hole. I did so and it fired right up and has been running solid for over a year. My original motor is on the work bench with little compression. I need to work on the valves, but also noted the carburator was in dire need of a rebuild. The float on that one needed to be replaced before it died.

You might also want to check the fuel line. Mine was full of grit and I'm sure that contributed to my starting problems. Keep us posted. Someone may have other suggestions for you. The 165 is a strong and popular Deer.

/ John Deere 165 wont start #6  
I had the same problem.. Try this.. On the side of the motor there is a fuel pump. It will be on the same side as the carb is and just behind it between the carb and the dash.. No need to remove it if memory serves just look at it very closely. you will see a slight round bump about the size and thickness of a dime.. inside of that you should see a very fine brass screen.. If you cant see that screen you just found your problem and its a free and simple fix. That screen relieves pressure in side the canister that houses a diaphram and aloows it tomove make and forth drawing fuel to the carb.. Very carefully clean the crud off that screen being careful not to push it thru the screen. as soon as your done it should fire right up.. Hope this helps.
I know its been a bit and hope you found an answer to your question

then i hope youll share with me, because i am having the exact same problem...

hope your still active and reply

Id appreciate any help i can find, i was actually supposed to trade this thing up to a newer deere tomorrow and this caught me off guard. Usually it fires right up but today when i went to put it on the trailer, it just turns over but no fire. i tried to spray some starting fluid and it just coughs it out the carb where the air cleaner would normally be, but i have it removed so i could spray a bit of starting fluid in it.

/ John Deere 165 wont start #7  
Anyone have a problem with the coil or ignitor causing this problem ??

/ John Deere 165 wont start #8  
Anyone have a problem with the coil or ignitor causing this problem ??
I have a JD 170 which did not run when bought. We were told the valves had a problem by the previous owner per his JD dealer. Long story short had a week spark (yellow/ orange) on the test light. Bought an aftermarket ignitor for less than 20.00 and it started without starting fluid. Runs great. (JD wanted 60+ for the part)

/ John Deere 165 wont start #9  
I have a JD165 with fb460 engine that won't start either. I am thinking about swapping the engine eith Kohler engine that I have on Scotts 1642 ,That has a bad transmission. One prob that I see right off is th JD has a mag clutch to engage the cutting blades and the Scotts is just mechanical.