John Deere 318 Rear End Leak

/ John Deere 318 Rear End Leak #1  

rwc318

Tractor
John Deere 318
I have a 1983 John Deere 318 that I recently bought with a bad starter. I have replaced the starter and the tractor seems to run well. The problem I have is that there is a leak in the rear end. When I shut the tractor off, a puddle of oil will form under it. The leak is coming from a spot on the right side of the tractor between the center section of the rearend and the housing that bolts to it that has the axle running through it. I bought a service manual for the tractor and it looks like there is a gasket at this joint. The service manual also talks about there being an engineering change made on later models to the way the rear end is mounted. On earlier models like mine, the way the rear end was mounted put stress on the rear end that could cause it to leak. Apparently this has happened to mine. How easy is the the gasket at this joint to replace and has anyone run into this before?

/ John Deere 318 Rear End Leak #2  
I have the same year/model and problem Did you ever get a response and/or change out the gasket Would like to know your experience

/ John Deere 318 Rear End Leak #3  
Hello rwc318 and :welcome: to TBN

There is no a gasket between the axle tube and the transmission. I'm sure your problem is the seal in the first pic, (#7) is defective. Usually when those start leaking you won't see fluid until it has dripped into the brake drum and down on to the inside of your wheel.
I'm thinking if you have it dripping right at the tube,it might not have a very good mating seal there,or it isn't quite tight enough. That is just a metal to metal mating. Either way,replacing your rear seals is in order. I wouldn't just do one either.Do both sides.

Greg

Attachments

• Trans.gif
    Trans.gif
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,243
  • Axle tube.gif
    Axle tube.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,476
   / John Deere 318 Rear End Leak #4  
any idea how long this repair takes, [flat rate] assuming it is the seal?
Thanks