NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ???????

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #11  
I said error not offense, there is a difference. I mentioned this because of the reference to this being a John Deere forum.
Jinman was referring to Piratesignal's current thread about installing an actuator on the front of his LA150.

I know, I said offense in regards to how Piratesignal responded so harshly. I don't see what Jim said that could be so offensive to anyone let alone Piratesignal.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #12  
Come again?

1. I am backing-up and admonishing advice given to the owner of a small tractor; someone that didn't pay $12,000, and you attack me?

2. I don't own a D150, never heard of that brand. This is a JD Forum.

You are the kind-of people that make forums like this really suck!

Walk away, ********.

Woah man.

Jinman has always been a good guy on here.

Hes right by the way. A blade on your machine (LA) is going to be pretty much useless and really over work your tractor. Sure you can add weights and chains, but it wont preform that well without at least a locking rear. Before you say anything, im a former Deere owner.

And You dont know what a D 150 is? Really? Its the replacement for your mower. I wouldnt go throwing stones around here without at least knowing the basics.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #13  
Piratesignal, I don't have anything against you or your LA150. Honestly! I think you misread my post completely, at least my intent was hidden. I did make a mistake and call your mower a D150 because that is the newer model designation of the same mower you have, and your mower looks spotless and new when I see pictures of it. I was suggesting that these LAxxx or Dxxx mowers (100 series) are built for mowing and to compete with other low-cost brands. I also own a LA145 with 130 hours and I have a whole history of posts about that mower with what I think are good points and bad points.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to embarrass, bash, or say anything off-the-wall about your tractor. I did feel that you made a bit of an inaccurate statement with you mentioned that everyone wants a X5 or X7 series tractor. I think there are plenty of people who would love to have an X3 series. All of these are in JD's "Select Series" tractors. Ours are not.

You could make a valid argument that my comment about your snow plow on your LA150 did not belong in this thread. That's at least partially true, but also related to the fact that the X5 and X7 can have differential lock and 4wd in the X7 model. Those are the features many owners like along with power steering. All of those things are not available to us on our tractors at any price.:(

Piratesignal, I truly did not mean to offend you. I will try to be very careful and double check all my posts relating to you and your equipment in the future. I want to help and give good advice. Irritating you or making you angry is not something I would ever do on purpose.:drink:

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ???????
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies - they are exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I haven't responded till now as I have been busy on other things.

Re area mowed - I am guessing the area but it is pretty large. I have mowed it with the 15.5 hp Sears mower for six years. Of course that little rider has worn out during the process. The previous owner of my place used it as well, so it has had a lot of use.The area is about four or five times that shown in the attached foto below.

The D170 has easily cut the mowing time in half - from seven hours down to three and half, and it relive comfort too.

The info on the eletric clutch and transmission is very helpful - I wasn't aware of any problems. Having only used the smaller Sears mower, I have had little experience on other machines and the D170 seemed to be perfect for my needs.
I guess, like everything else, it depends on use and care for a long life.

Any other bits of information you guys could send my way, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jim

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #15  
Jim,
My apologies for the interruption in your thread:eek: and Welcome to TBN.

Your lawn looks great and the new D170 will work well for you as long as you don't strain it. That is what your tractor is for anyway.:thumbsup:

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #16  
dox-ford Jim,
If I had found these tractor forums before I bought my JD LA120, I would never have purchased it. And that would have been a shame. I am coming to the end of my 5th year with my tractor. It has worked flawlessly. (Other than a valve adjustment when new)
After reading the bad things about the "Box Store" tractors, I ran out to my garage and expected to see the transmission on the floor and the blades ceased and sticking through the deck. It never happened. I turn the key, it starts, I engage the blades, they turn. I step on the gas, it goes (It even backs up)

So many happy hours of seat time to you.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #17  
...first time posting....not wanting to hijack the thread, but as the owner of a Scott's 2048 with a recently blown Kohler motor, I too was interested in D170 insights

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #18  
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a D170 mower and was wondering what comments other owners might have on their machines.

I know, it is a bit late asking for opinions now, but the deal was pretty good and it was the last one in the store, so I bought now and worry later !

My old trusty Sears rider mower has been loaded with problems that I keep fixing (42" deck, 15.5 hp Kohler engine ). Finally decided that a new mower was needed. My grassy area is 3.0 acres or more and the old one got really worn out.

I have used the D170 the one time and found it great. What took me 7 hours to do with the old mower, I did easily in 3.5 hours with the D170 - with much better results too. The only con so far is the fuel consumption - but more HP = more fuel.

How have you owners found your machines ? Any particular problems to worry about ? I have found that the grass cutting height lever has a habit of getting in the way when getting on or off the mower !

So far, my impressions of this machine are positive, but then I only have 3.5 hours use.

Any info you could share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
I find it to be great, isnt great on gas but is better than my cudb cadet. The only problem I have is having to remove the pulley covers to adequately clean out all the clippings. Good purchase:)

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #19  
for what it's worth, the D170 has an 11ga deck (thickest of all D-Seies) and the trans is the K-46 which is the same as the higher-cost x-300.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #20  
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies - they are exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I haven't responded till now as I have been busy on other things.

Re area mowed - I am guessing the area but it is pretty large. I have mowed it with the 15.5 hp Sears mower for six years. Of course that little rider has worn out during the process. The previous owner of my place used it as well, so it has had a lot of use.The area is about four or five times that shown in the attached foto below.

The D170 has easily cut the mowing time in half - from seven hours down to three and half, and it relive comfort too.

The info on the eletric clutch and transmission is very helpful - I wasn't aware of any problems. Having only used the smaller Sears mower, I have had little experience on other machines and the D170 seemed to be perfect for my needs.
I guess, like everything else, it depends on use and care for a long life.

Any other bits of information you guys could send my way, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jim

Looks like you're doing just fine. We had a LA130 for 3 years which was similar to your D170 but had a 48" deck. It never missed a beat, never spit nor sputtered, unlike our X720. Our property is pretty rough and my wife likes to mow around the farm sheds and road between the fields and she wanted something a bit heavier and power steering. We had a JD 425 before the LA130 and it smashed the wiring harness between the mower deck gearbox and the frame, luckily it was still under warranty. Then the power steering cylinder came apart internally, out of warranty, a new one was like $375. I had it cut apart on a lathe and put the proper amount of Loctite on the nut that holds the piston on the cylinder rod and had it welded back together and all was well. So the Premiums are definitely not perfect. Our X720 has already been back in for fuel related problems.