NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ???????

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #21  
Not all of the box store mowers are as bad as they say. I am going into my 7th year with my LA-120 and the deck (42") still has not failed me. I even have the original belts. I had to have the valves adjusted the first month I had it, but other than that, the only thing I have replaced is the fuel, filters, oil and the blades. I read all the reports about the "Box Store" JD's (I got mine at a dealer but it's the same one) So every-time I go out to my garage, I expect to see a pile of metal sitting on the floor, but the sucker still looks and runs good.... Like a Deere... (I grease my spindles once a year)

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #22  
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a D170 mower and was wondering what comments other owners might have on their machines.

I know, it is a bit late asking for opinions now, but the deal was pretty good and it was the last one in the store, so I bought now and worry later !

My old trusty Sears rider mower has been loaded with problems that I keep fixing (42" deck, 15.5 hp Kohler engine ). Finally decided that a new mower was needed. My grassy area is 3.0 acres or more and the old one got really worn out.

I have used the D170 the one time and found it great. What took me 7 hours to do with the old mower, I did easily in 3.5 hours with the D170 - with much better results too. The only con so far is the fuel consumption - but more HP = more fuel.

How have you owners found your machines ? Any particular problems to worry about ? I have found that the grass cutting height lever has a habit of getting in the way when getting on or off the mower !

So far, my impressions of this machine are positive, but then I only have 3.5 hours use.

Any info you could share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Jim, I have bad news so far as the longevity of the D170 transmission. If you use it on anything other than flat ground it will work great initially but the one I have is now in dire need of a replacement half way through the 3rd season. It started deteriorating, acting like it was slipping, during the second season. The dealer says $900 for the transmission plus labor. I could not be more displeased with John Deere. The company should not be selling equipment like this without a disclaimer that it is for flat ground only.

Rick Harris