NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ???????

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a D170 mower and was wondering what comments other owners might have on their machines.

I know, it is a bit late asking for opinions now, but the deal was pretty good and it was the last one in the store, so I bought now and worry later !

My old trusty Sears rider mower has been loaded with problems that I keep fixing (42" deck, 15.5 hp Kohler engine ). Finally decided that a new mower was needed. My grassy area is 3.0 acres or more and the old one got really worn out.

I have used the D170 the one time and found it great. What took me 7 hours to do with the old mower, I did easily in 3.5 hours with the D170 - with much better results too. The only con so far is the fuel consumption - but more HP = more fuel.

How have you owners found your machines ? Any particular problems to worry about ? I have found that the grass cutting height lever has a habit of getting in the way when getting on or off the mower !

So far, my impressions of this machine are positive, but then I only have 3.5 hours use.

Any info you could share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #3  
I certainly don't have long-term data to support my theory, but if the D1xx series continues the problems associated with the LA1xx series (both 100 series Deeres) then you can expect your mower deck to have the highest maintenance requirement. Keep good fresh fuel treated with Seafoam or equivalent and the engine will probably perform quite well for many years.

Expect to do regular maintenance by greasing your deck spindles every 10 hours of use or less and be ready to replace idler pulleys that may start howling. I sharpen my blades once and then replace them the next time they need service because the metal has worn so thin on the lift blade portion that it is paper thin. If you have the electric PTO clutch, it puts a tremendous shock load on the deck when energized.

Any odd sound I hear from the deck, I troubleshoot right away. I won't let an idler fail or a spindle either. I had one spindle fail (break) and it was making noise. If I can't stop the noise with grease, I replace the spindle. The whole spindle is less than $60 US. Idlers are $9-$12 each. I also keep spare blades. These maintenance items are so common on these decks that kits of parts are sold by 3rd party vendors on eBay. Just keep an eye on things and you can probably manage it if you do your own maintenance. If you have to have it worked on by someone else, the deck problems could be costly. Time will tell. . . .

I have removed the plastic covers from my Edge Cutting System deck so I can easily get to the spindles zerks for greasing. Recently when I stopped mowing, I felt of the top of the pulley on a spindle and it was so hot I could not hold my hand on it. That's probably normal, but just demonstrates that heat from friction is being generated and good EP grease is needed. Don't buy the cheap grease. Look for NGLI-2 grease or better.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #4  
I may sound like I'm trying to burst your bubble, but ain't no way I would mow 3 plus acres with a big box store mower.
But hey, that is just me.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #5  
If you have a leaf blower use it or compresed air to clean off the top of the feck, Use a water hose sparingly to clean it on top. I have an older L130 with all original belt, idlers and spindles.

I learned this next lesson rather quickly, plan to use the electric pto sparingly and slow down to an idle to engage it. When I first got this mower I used the switch frequently it lasted to about 75 hours and was toast. The replacement has gone another 200 hours with no problems.

Last, don't overwork the transmission, it will last alot longer if you can avoid steep grades and pulling heavy carts.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #6  
I have an L130 like Steve's, and my opinion is don't expect any Big Box Mower regardless of brand to be built to the same quality standards as a Lawn & Garden tractor like Steve's X749, or a SCUT/CUT.

Jinman is right about the mower deck and electric PTO being the most maintenance intensive items on BBM grade units. That's been my experience too.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #7  
I have a 2008 LA150 which about the same quality/class of machine.

Everything Jinman said about maintanence on the deck is all good advice. I only greased my 54" deck about twice a season, and I now have a rough sounding spindle bearing after 150 hours. Everything else is good, but definately needs blades.

Reduce RPM before engaging PTO. Try to find the least amount of RPM you can engage PTO without killing the engine. I didn't know about this when I first got my tractor, but a neighbor set me straight.

Hydrostatic Trans. Pretty sure that is what you have, if you can change the oil to synthetic that would help (may void warranty, not sure, check into it).

Sure everyone wants an X5 - X7 series ($6k - $12K). But if you are willing to do a little more maintenance, give-up some performance and, hydraulics, you can get by for a whole lot less.

Good luck!

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #8  
Sure everyone wants an X5 - X7 series ($6k - $12K). But if you are willing to do a little more maintenance, give-up some performance and, hydraulics, you can get by for a whole lot less.

Good luck!

I think there are plenty of people who want nothing more than the X3xx ($3k to $5.5k) series for mowing and towing. The X5xx and X7xx series have locking differentials and 4wd. Since you purchased a snowplow for your D150, I think you are gonna find out how well it works with only one rear wheel turning on the ice this winter.

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #9  
I don't understand what he said that made you angry. I really don't. I may be dense, but please explain what you think he said. Jinman has a reputation of being very knowledgeable and helpful on this board.

James K0UA

/ NEW D170 MODEL COMMENTS ??????? #10  
The only error that I have caught so far is Jinman mentioned the D150 and If I recall Piratesignal has an LA 150. A MiNOR ERROR IMO.

Jinman is a very helpful poster here Piratesignal you could learn alot by reading his posts.

Jim was just stating that he is hopeful that the new John Deere D series is better then the LA series they replaced. If it isn't much different other then the name he made mention of some areas the op of this thread should look into. If the D150 and LA150 are basically the same tractor other then a few tweaks then I don't see where that is such a terrible offense.