LA150: Need Lift System for Plow

/ LA150: Need Lift System for Plow #1  

piratesignal

I recently bought the plow that is available for my LA150, and the lift system (a pole) is simply dreadful! I can't live with it. I have been trying to find compact Electric Linear Actuators that would work. I would even install a whole 2-circuit hydraulic system (but I would need to do a tone of research).

The Pics below show the current setup, and then the 3rd pic (w/ blue tape)shows where I want to install the actuator.

The actuator would need to go in-and-out only 2", and the total extended length couldn't exceed 9".

Any suggestions on what to do?

Trying to make a little tractor act like a big one, cause buying a new one is not an option.

Thx!

Attachments

• 2011-09-01 18.29.59 resized.jpg
    2011-09-01 18.29.59 resized.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 2011-09-01 18.29.41 resized.jpg
    2011-09-01 18.29.41 resized.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 2011-09-04 11.17.50 resized.jpg
    2011-09-04 11.17.50 resized.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 478
   / LA150: Need Lift System for Plow #2  
First of all if the actuator is only going to have a 2" stroke the forces will be very high on it, might want to rethink that. A longer stroke and lower force needed will be easier to control and easier to match up I suspect.

I have an L130 with the same transaxle (K46) and from my expereinces wouldn't think of making it do blade work. Doubt the tranny would last past 100 hrs or so with blade duty.

About the plastic sheeting, I would discard it and use a bedsheet if I did this at all. Better to have a dustcover that breathes and is less prone to causing rust. Sheeting in a slightly warm tractor in plastic isn't going to save anything.

/ LA150: Need Lift System for Plow #3  
Try a cheap harbor freight winch. That's what I use for my rear mounted grader blade on my LT 100. Had this mower 8 years no tranny trouble

/ LA150: Need Lift System for Plow #4  
Try a cheap harbor freight winch. That's what I use for my rear mounted grader blade on my LT 100. Had this mower 8 years no tranny trouble

I agree a hand crank winch might work too.
Your tractor has a gear tranny I take it?

/ LA150: Need Lift System for Plow #5  
Yup, it's the only reason I bought the smaller mower to avoid tranny problems later. Had to replace spindles and a pulley so far. No other trouble

/ LA150: Need Lift System for Plow
Thx for the response. See edits below in Green.

First of all if the actuator is only going to have a 2" stroke the forces will be very high on it, might want to rethink that. A longer stroke and lower force needed will be easier to control and easier to match up I suspect. I plan on using a screw actuator, so length of stroke won't be a factor.

I have an L130 with the same transaxle (K46) and from my expereinces wouldn't think of making it do blade work. Doubt the tranny would last past 100 hrs or so with blade duty. Checkout a thread from Lotsofgreengrass about rebuilding the K46. I had 160 hours on mine, and it wasn't that bad. I elected to install the upgraded pump and magnet kit anyway. Also, you'll want to run 5w - 50 synthetic, and then change it every season (regardless of type of use). 100 hours, that would be about 5 years for me, as all I do now is plow a small drive.

About the plastic sheeting, I would discard it and use a bedsheet if I did this at all. Better to have a dustcover that breathes and is less prone to causing rust. Sheeting in a slightly warm tractor in plastic isn't going to save anything.The cover has slits and was only on for a couple days because I was doing a fiberglass project on the other side of the garage and my dust collector wasn't working. I put up plastic sheating,m but dust was still getting out. This garage is heated, cooled and moisture controlled year-round.[/QUOTE]

This one from Northern Tool might do the trick. The reviews are primarily from lawn tractor owners that wanted to do much of what I am trying to accomplish. I need to change my mounting idea to something that will have more mechanical advantage, but I think this actuator might be the way to go. For now, I am considering just lifting the blade, the swivel funtion would still be manual, but that is ok for now.

Actuator
Load Capacity (lbs.) 1,350
Dimensions L x H (in.) 10 5/8 x 9

Attachments

• Linear Actuator.jpg
    Linear Actuator.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 401
   / LA150: Need Lift System for Plow #8  
This one from Northern Tool might do the trick. The reviews are primarily from lawn tractor owners that wanted to do much of what I am trying to accomplish. I need to change my mounting idea to something that will have more mechanical advantage, but I think this actuator might be the way to go. For now, I am considering just lifting the blade, the swivel funtion would still be manual, but that is ok for now.

Actuator
Load Capacity (lbs.) 1,350
Dimensions L x H (in.) 10 5/8 x 9

When I mentioned the forces would be high I was referring to the mechanincal advantage. I would move it out farther away from the pivot point as it will reduce the forces against the actuator.

/ LA150: Need Lift System for Plow #9  
I know I'm late to this party,but after doing similar projects like this there are a couple of important criteria to follow IMHO.One,whatever is used to mount in front of the tractor to lift an impliment should be placed so a tilt forward hood can be raised,and two,provide for plenty of "float" for the attachment.

When using an actuator,one can build a slot for one end and provide some float ability,however a really long slot is need for a front blade.A better solution is to mount the actuator under a pivoting lift bar w/chain similar to what most big plow setups use for pickups.

Personally,I like a cheap winch and change the cable over to a strap for better wear and backlash issues.The winch can be mounted to a simple frame that lifts off quickly for hood raises using square tubing that slides down into the next larger size tubing that's mounted to the hitch frame.

Just some thoughts

I know I'm late to this party,but after doing similar projects like this there are a couple of important criteria to follow IMHO.One,whatever is used to mount in front of the tractor to lift an impliment should be placed so a tilt forward hood can be raised,and two,provide for plenty of "float" for the attachment.

When using an actuator,one can build a slot for one end and provide some float ability,however a really long slot is need for a front blade.A better solution is to mount the actuator under a pivoting lift bar w/chain similar to what most big plow setups use for pickups.

Personally,I like a cheap winch and change the cable over to a strap for better wear and backlash issues.The winch can be mounted to a simple frame that lifts off quickly for hood raises using square tubing that slides down into the next larger size tubing that's mounted to the hitch frame.

Just some thoughts

Thx for the reply. I am way behind on this project due to travel, but hope to get some things done this weekend.

Not sure what you mean by 'float'. The actuator will extert down-pressure so the blad has a scraping effect. However, there will be movement along the roll axis to provide for limited 'terrain following'.

The hood. Yes this is an issue. My preliminary measurements reveal that the hood will have full range-of-motion until the final inch. I would have to install two lift assist dampeners to prevent the hood from making contact with the actuator bracket.

The design I really wanted for this invloved a rock shaft and some parts from an x-3/500. But the cost and amount of time to fabricate was extensive.

I should have some pics this coming weekend. Thx!

Btw, here is a pic of an actuator I am considering.

Attachments

• 306_125_6102C_PI.jpg
    306_125_6102C_PI.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 180