John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #1  

andrew1346

Tractor
john deere 455
My steering cylinder is leaking like crazy...its between $275-299 for a new one ( non-serviceable, welded together) I am looking for seals for it but have not had any luck yet. I cut it apart at work, and would like to try and put seals in it and weld it back together......Any ideas where I can find seals for it? The JD part # is AM118796.......Thanks!!!

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #2  
:welcome:
Andrew....that is the steering cylinder part # or is it the seal part # ? If seal, can it be ordered from Deere?
The item is probably farmed out by Deere and the seal may be hard to find. I'd try to go to a bearing store and see if they can match it. Am assuming it isn't just an o-ring.

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking
that is the # of the cylinder....there is a buffer seal and then a lip/wiper seal on the outside......

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #4  
Yes take the seals to a bearing house and they can match them up for you. I've rebuilt hundreds of cylinders and rarely buy from the manufacturer. Be careful takeing the old seals out, most have a small part number on the edge of the seal. If your good with a caliper measure them yourself and order online.

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #5  
What's the trick for welding one back together? How do you keep it from getting too hot? Do you just put it back together and push all the rubber to the opposite end?
Pictures would be nice. I wish you success!

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #6  
What is the best replacement for the power steering cylinder! My Dad has a 1997 455 ans it just started to leak! Other that paying $300 for a new part!

Thanks Scott

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #7  
Order a new one from GFP and find the 5% off coupon code...
Also get some new o-rings for the hose connections.
And unless the pump is ALREADY leaking inside the column do NOT twist or disturb the hoses.
I do NOT like how they designed these hose connections. (It's a real pita to get to the pump fittings.)
My new cylinder did come with new ball joints.

See the pin sticking out the side into the axle?
Pin_800_8-12-2012 004.jpg
Be sure to measure this to confirm 8mm or whatever the diameter is when selecting.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #8  
Order a new one from GFP and find the 5% off coupon code...
Also get some new o-rings for the hose connections.
And unless the pump is ALREADY leaking inside the column do NOT twist or disturb the hoses.
I do NOT like how they designed these hose connections. (It's a real pita to get to the pump fittings.)
My new cylinder did come with new ball joints.

See the pin sticking out the side into the axle?
View attachment 329421
Be sure to measure this to confirm 8mm or whatever the diameter is when selecting.

What does the 8MM distance do ?

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #9  
For a measly $300 vs all time spent cutting, looking for parts, Rebuilding , welding together putting the tractor together and hoping the PS doesn't leak?

/ John Deere 455 steering cylinder leaking #10  
What does the 8MM distance do ?

It's the diameter of that pin. Did you click to enlarge the photo?
It's a pin that is maybe 2" long and sticks thru a hole in the axle.
All I see is that it keeps the cylinder from rotating.