Jd 445

/ Jd 445 #1  

zlock24

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520
Should I be concerned about a small engine oil leak on my Jd 445 with 1400 hours?

/ Jd 445 #2  
Can you give us a little more information?

Where is the leak and how much oil is leaking?

General answer is yes, you should be concerned and work to correct any leak or at least monitor it.

It is much more important to know how much oil is on the inside of your engine than the outside. Oil seeping around a valve cover gasket is an easy repair compared to the work required to replace a main shaft seal.

If it is not gushing, keep an eye on the dipstick and judge your corrective response based on the cost to repair and your ability to tackle the repair.

/ Jd 445 #3  
zlock24
:welcome:

Good post from atschirner.

Agree, how about more info.

/ Jd 445
I have to add about 1/2 quart of oil every 10 hours, the oil appears to be coming from the left side of the engine. The tractor seems to lose more oil when after it cools off, I use the tractor at least 5 days a week and it leaks more on the two days that I don't use it.I put any were from 10 to 15 hours a week on it. I do have many repairs skills, but I don't have the greatest knowledge when it comes to engines, so how should I tackle this?

/ Jd 445 #5  
A good place to start would be to thoroughly clean
that side of the motor, and then start it and watch
to see where it's coming from. As mentioned it could
be as simple as the valve cover gasket, which is an easy DIY fix.

if you can get it cleaned and post a picture once it
starts leaking we might be able to help some more.

/ Jd 445 #6  
To me that wouldn't be a "small" oil leak. Also, in addition to previous suggestions, is the leak on the side of the engine above the oil level in the oil pan?

Do you have the tech manual in paper back or on a CD? If not, I'd suggest locating a copy to help you out if you are thinking of tackling this job yourself.

/ Jd 445 #7  
At 1379 hours the oil pressure switch on my 425 sprung a leak. Its on the right side of the motor though.

/ Jd 445 #8  
Not sure if you got your quesiton answered, but check the valve covers - mine was leaking from the inside of the left valve cover - creating a mess and used oil daily. Easy fix, but make sure you use silocone with the new oring gasket.