How to mod LX266 to pull a 4' York Rake

/ How to mod LX266 to pull a 4' York Rake #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Guys,

I have a good running LX266 16 HP mower (less than 200 hours).

I believe the "hitch" for pulling a little cart is merely sheet metal bent 90 degrees with a hole in it.

I have the possibility of buying a 4' York Rake from a friend who got ot for a Craftsman 18 HP mower with a better "hitch". The York rake is a nice one with the wheels and the drop down blade.

I can and will add pictures after daylight. :)

My questions are as follows.

I want to use this York rake to rake leaves, and to lightly groom my gravel road to maintain its crown on the hill.

I might use it to rake/scatter horse apples for better fertilization of the pastures.

#1 - Will my 16HP LX266 haul it like this?
#2 - How do I prevent this from ripping my little sheet metal "hitch" thingie off my mower?
#3 - Is there a better "hitch" a noob like me without a welder can fab?

I am sure I will have more questions later as you all edumacate me!:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!
David

/ How to mod LX266 to pull a 4' York Rake #2  
David
I think the hitch you have will take anything the LX266 can dish out. You likely will find that traction will be your biggest frustration when any kind of load builds up in the rake. I could be wrong, but I'd also bet on it. :)

I suspect "sheet metal" is more likely around 3/16" steel plate formed to make the hitch.

You may get more traction by adding wheel weights, but then you will be stretching the upper limits of power of the 16HP LX266.

But do look forward to the pics. And some possibly pulling the 4' rake.

/ How to mod LX266 to pull a 4' York Rake
David
I think the hitch you have will take anything the LX266 can dish out. You likely will find that traction will be your biggest frustration when any kind of load builds up in the rake. I could be wrong, but I'd also bet on it. :)

I suspect "sheet metal" is more likely around 3/16" steel plate formed to make the hitch.

You may get more traction by adding wheel weights, but then you will be stretching the upper limits of power of the 16HP LX266.

But do look forward to the pics. And some possibly pulling the 4' rake.

beenthere,

Yes, the LX266 has a 3/16" steel plate single hole "hitch".

Here are a couple pics of the 4' York Rake.

My concern is the double hole nature of the York Rake will cause the pin to twist in the single hole of the LX266.

Any ideas?

David

Attachments

• IMG-20111013-00088.jpg
    IMG-20111013-00088.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG-20111013-00089.jpg
    IMG-20111013-00089.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 212
   / How to mod LX266 to pull a 4' York Rake #4  
Find the proper length/dia. hitch pin, drop it in and go. I have a 265 JD that has been used for pulling a cart most of it's life (20yrs) and the hitch is showing some wear but still very useable. I'd say you're over thinking this. :thumbsup:

/ How to mod LX266 to pull a 4' York Rake #5  
As long as the clevis end of the rake allows room to drop a pin in through the hitch hole, you should be good to go. A quarter inch or 3/8 inch pin should give plenty of rotation allowance to not cause any problem. I don't see it as a weak point.