Deere trimmers at Home Depot?

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Has anyone noticed John Deere trimmers and accessories at Home Depot? Our store had all kinds of Deere equipment in addition to the garden tractors. Weed trimmers, attachments for the Deere powerheads, good stuff at real good prices. I went back after a month and it's now all gone. Even the in-store literature and website don't mention it anymore. Was I dreaming, or did the JD dealers stage a successful revolt, or what?

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot? #2  
From what I have heard, the Deere dealers help set up the lawn tractors that HD is selling. I suspect, although I don't know, that a dealer went beyond and also set up some of the trimmers and such in addition to the lawn tractors. I suspect he was told by an area or region manager to pull those things out, that they were not to be sold at HD, but only at Deere. Now, I may not know anything about what I am talking about either. All I know is that HD is getting the lawn tractors through the Deere dealers. The dealers then get to supply attachments and such to the HD buyers. I overheard that the HD Deere's are selling very well.

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot? #3  
My local Home Depot has had the JD trimmers for at least a couple of years. I have not been there recently, so I don't know if they still do or not. Maybe part of the agreement for them to sell the lawn and garden tractors included a provision that they could no longer sell the trimmers. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot? #4  
From what I have seen at our local HD the Deere items such as trimmers, blowers etc. are different models than whats available at my JD dealer. My dealer stated they would do the warranty work on tractors sold at HD but they did not have anything to do with setting them up. My Deere dealer has the L Series tractors available for sale also, just not any similar model blowers, trimmers, etc.

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot? #5  
I picked up a Deere trimmer (with nifty multi-attachment gizmo) about a year ago from HD. It is great - I replaced a 4 stroke Riobi and there's no comparison. It uses the same attachments, so I'm using the JD power plant with Riobi attachments (blower, mini-tiller, hedge trimmer, tree pruner, etc.).

But they do seem to come and go. I would buy another one if I could find it. HD here isn't carrying them now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot?
I was looking at the Ryonbi units as well, but have heard so-so comments about them. Most folks say they are hard to start, but I haven't heard anything about lack of power. My JD dealer doesn't sell the stuff either -- he rents them out but doesn't sell them.

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot? #7  
Fla_cracker, I have to agree that the Riobi weed eaters are hard to start.

I bought one a few years ago, and always had a devil of a time getting it started. Sometimes in the summer it took so much work to get it started that I was too tired to use it.

Every spring I took it in for service. The mechanic would work on it, and eventually get it to start. Kept telling me to put fresh gas in it. Usually, about a month after it came out of the shop, it was back to being hard to start again.

Last spring, I gave it away. Replaced it with a Stihl, and have had no problems with the Stihl. Based on my experience, I would not buy a Riobi.

Bob

/ Deere trimmers at Home Depot? #8  
<font color="blue"> Fla_cracker, I have to agree that the Riobi weed eaters are hard to start. </font>

Yup, I totally agree. I have had two of them and neither one was ever easy to start. Plus, they don't have the power of a two stroke. I like the idea of a four stroke, clean burning engine, but the Riobi just doesn't cut it (so to speak /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).