New guy with a decision to make

/ New guy with a decision to make #1  

Seth

Hello,
Just signed up after spending the last couple of hours searching and reading other threads. I'm sure you get plenty of "which one to buy" questions, but I appreciate your input.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a LX288. It's been used but it's in good shape. Since then I came across (and bought) a GT235 at a lower price and in similar shape. Both have B&S motors and the 48" deck. I've got to get rid of one of them. From what I've read the GT is a heavier machine and all being equal is the one to keep. My question for you is - Where should I look on these two machines to determine which is the one to keep. I really have know idea about their maintenance. Both run good - no smoke. The steering is tight on both. The deck it'self on the 288 has more wear than the one on the 235, but the pulleys are in much better shape. The pulleys on the 235 have a decent amount of rust. I took both decks off and the bearings seem good on both decks. How hard is it to change the pulleys on these decks?
Thank you in advance for your responses.

/ New guy with a decision to make #2  
keep the gt

/ New guy with a decision to make #3  
the pullies shouldn't be too difficult, providing you have an impact wrench. The LX was the premium lawn tractor series. The GT was the mid-grade garden tractor series. The GT has a larger, serviceable transmission and a heavy-duty frame for ground-engaging implements like a tiller. I have a GT 225 and it's my primary workhorse ( I have 7). Were it me, I'd try to keep both unless you're in dire straits. This is a bad time of year to sell tractors, and with the economy about tanked, you will never get what it's worth.

/ New guy with a decision to make
I don't have an impact wrench. I tried with socket and power handle soon realized I needed more. Any chance the threads are left handed? I tried both ways and couldn't get it to break free.

I'm not in a hurry to sell one, but I have no need for two. Plus I have to get rid of the Troybilt that I'm replacing. I'll put a price on them and hold tough. The father in law has expressed interest in the JD I don't want so I may get my money back there.

/ New guy with a decision to make #5  
doubt they're LH thread. Prolly were put on with a torque wrench is why you're having trouble. You could use a breaker bar, but if you yank too hard and snap the bolt, you're screwed.

/ New guy with a decision to make #6  
The nut's on the pullies are a bugger to get off with out an impact and the only other way I know to get them off with out an impact is to use heat from a torch and then use a breaker bar and socket. If the decks are equal and the bearing are tight leave it alone and paint them.

/ New guy with a decision to make
I didn't mess with the pulleys. I figure if a problem comes up I'll deal with it then. Something I've been meaning to ask about, when you first start it, it will rev up and down - up and down. After it runs for about 20 minutes or so it seems fine. What could be causing this? I've changed the oil, oil filter and air filter. I've got a fuel filter to put on it. What other maintenance should I look at before the grass starts growing?

/ New guy with a decision to make #8  
Sounds like some ethanol crud in the carburetor. You might try some seafoam additive before taking it apart.

/ New guy with a decision to make #9  
As far as loosening the nuts goes PB blaster is amazing stuff. Spray it on and let it sit overnight.

Chris

/ New guy with a decision to make #10  
Sounds like you either have a governor problem or an intake leak.