X540 Fuel Use.

/ X540 Fuel Use. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
Can anyone tell me what the X540 is like on gas?

It looks like it has a monster engine, 26 HP Kawi under the hood is quite a bit of power just for cutting grass.

Trying to convince the in-laws to go with a X540. They have a old Craftsman in horrible shape and it's 19HP B&S is tired. The deck on the machine is so rusted from lack of being cleaned, that it actually has holes rusted right through it already.

My main concern is the X540 will eat gas like no tomorrow. I know they will never step into a X7xx series because it is to much money and to big for the property.

/ X540 Fuel Use. #2  
In regards to fuel consumption, you get what you ask for. This is pretty universal among internal combustion engines. My 425 would get low gph hauling the brush cart around. However, the gph went to about 5 with a flail mower going through light brush on hills.

Another example, 18' boat with 3.0l 130 hp 4 cyl, will match fuel consumption at 30 mph with the same boat with 5.7l 260 hp 8 cyl. The 5.7l will be capable of 20 mph more with double the gph though.

As with anything that runs on fuel, YMMV

/ X540 Fuel Use. #3  
that's a lot of machine for just mowing duties, maybe a x320 would be more appropriate. Less up front cost and lower fuel consumption...

/ X540 Fuel Use. #4  
JD
What model do you own?

/ X540 Fuel Use.
The X300 series just looks a little bit small to me, as well as all the comments going around about the weaker drive train it has.

/ X540 Fuel Use. #6  
JDTank
What model Deere do you run?

/ X540 Fuel Use.
JDTank
What model Deere do you run?

Nothing. As I said, I am in the research stage before purchasing.

I know the diesels are much more fuel efficient, but spending $11,000 on a X7xx series is completely out of the question.

This isn't for me, I am looking for my in-laws. There old Craftsman is beyond tired, ready for the bone yard.

/ X540 Fuel Use. #9  
Then as said, for the work getting done, your in-laws will have to put the fuel in the tank. More work, more fuel. Don't think they will notice any difference from the fuel bill of the Crapsman. It is a pretty linear relationship, acres per gallon.

If me, I'd suggest a Deere 455 diesel with about 500-700 hours. Run about $5-6k.

/ X540 Fuel Use. #10  
Look at the X360, 22 horse power, and you can change the oil and filter in the rear end.
Plus, you get power steering and power deck lift.