Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series--

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #1  

My Hoe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC, BH77, 5' Belly Mower, 6' Hyd. Angle Plow
Hi all,

Sorry for the "Mayday" call, but I'd really appreciate some quick help. We're looking at a house, and the tractor is NOT coming with it, but may be available, possibly, for $1,400.

It is a John Deere 145 lawn tractor, with a 48" deck, and a 22 hp. V-Twin Briggs and Stratton.

I recently had back surgery, so I can't get "down and dirty," but I've looked in all the obvious places, and had my girlfriend "srounging around," but we cannot find anytyhing that says "Model No." and "Serial No."

It IS a hydrostatic machine--I can see the "heel and toe" pedals, and he told me it's hydrostatic.

I looked under the hood--nothing.

I looked under the seat--there's a 6" square sticker of operating instructions, on which they mention "models" in the 100-series line, but nothing that says what "model/serial no." THIS machine is.

The reason I care is that the gentleman is offering to sell it, for $1,400.00. He claims it has a total of 40.7 hours on it, (not a misprint--he's claiming less than 50 hours total) and that it is "two years old." But I'd like to know when it was built, just to be sure. Now his wife is telling him it isn't even two years old yet.

All I really need quickly is the location of that I.D. tag, described above, as we are going for a final look, before leaving town.

But if anyone's got time for further questions, beyond the I.D. tag's location, I was also wondering:

1. Where is the I.D. tag? (Whoops--already asked that. :D )

2. Is the 1/2" x 1.5" (just guessing) digital glass display on the hood a combination hour meter and tachometer?

3. Are those V-twin B&S 22 h.p. engines loud? My neighbor bought a similar tractor (I believe--didn't see it up close) and he's mowing my lawn for me while I'm recovering, and (no offense to any JD owners) but I was a little surprised at how loud the machine was. I have a single-cylinder, 11 h.p., B&S, Arien's rider, from the mid-80's, in excellent condition, and I'd say that Arien's isn't much noiser than my neighbor's new J.D.

I just expected a two-cylinder machine to be MUCH quieter, than a single. A friend has a mid-'80's Cub, hydro, with a 2-cylinder Onan, IIRC, and even though it too is air cooled, it is MUCH quieter than my air-cooled B&S single cylinder.

Maybe I'm "spoiled" by all the small, 3 cylinder diesel J.D.'s I've seen, here and there, but they were REAL Q-U-I-E-T.

4. Are there any known issues with these 145 models, and/or 48" decks? What is the widest deck one could hang under one of these tractors?

5. How does $1,400.00 sound? He claims to have paid "over $2,000." for it--the realtor said he said "over $2,200.) The man is a retired builder, and his house is immaculate, but honestly, the JD looks more like it's got a few seasons on it.

By that I mean, no effort made to remove the grass stuck to the TOP of the deck, so I'm guessing he doesn't elevate it and scrape out the bottom of the deck, like I did on my Ariens, (and hope to do again) before I got injured. (Please knock on REAL wood three times--I'm superstitious--thanks :) )

Also, the hood as a lot of those types of light scratches you'd expect if someone took a dry rag and wiped off the road dust, from mowing the ditch, when they got done--and he said he was donig some "hay trimming" where the hayers, near the road, missed getting, so it may be just that--road grit ground into the plastic with a dry rag.

The seat, however, looks perfect and there's no rust on anything--it's been stored inside.

6. Is anyone a big fan of these 145's, and if so, why?

7. Anything specific to these models that I should check?

8. On the bottom of seat, or on the floor in front of the console, it HAS directions regaring "CRUISE CONTROL." From my reading, I know that cruise control was "optional." Does the presence of these directions mean this machine DOES have cruise control?

If not, how can I verify that this machine does have the optional cruise control?

I have yet to hear it run, but I just wanted a general idea on value, which I'd like to research, with the I.D. tag info, but I'd MUCH appreciate any value-opinions--or any other opinions, for that matter, from you guys.

I already know one opinion you have--that I'm a wordy b*****d, right? LOL :laughing: Sorry--just born this way, I guess.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, and check back in an hour, before we have to go back there. Thanks in advance!

My Hoe

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #2  
Sounds like an LA145 riding mower, the cruise control is merely a pedal latch and is on all of these models.

About 2006 roughly Deere changed from the L series to the LA series the change to the LA series included a change to the Briggs engines.

I would think it matters less what year it is but what kind of condition it is in. If it only has about 40 hrs on the clock this should be a fair deal for you.

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #3  
Look under the seat on the left hand side (between the left rear tire but on the chassis).

Also, the manual for the LA145 is here
OMGX23171
John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Publications Search

As to cleaning, I only use the air compressor and blow the deck and tractor off after every mowing. In 30 years, I've never scraped much under a deck unless I'm sharpening or changing blades. Don't mow wet grass (if that is possible) and less chance of under-deck buildup. Use a long wand on the air pressure hose to blow the dust and clippings off. Keeps it dry that way.

Last edited:
   / Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #4  
There is no tach on these BBM (Big Box Mart) grade mowers; but you are correct about the little window being an hour meter.

The decks on these mowers seems to be the weak link with reports of spindles going bad, belts being thrown (I know all about that one), bum idler pulleys.

If it has an electric clutch, those have a habit of going out too and the repair isn't cheap. When my electric clutch puked at 56-hours, the PTO switch fried too. With tax, the clutch and switch was north of $150. Now I hear the clutch alone is over $200; but I haven't checked JD Parts online to verify. I replaced the parts myself, and I have no idea what the dealer would charge to do the work.

Any of these BBM grade mowers are going to be loud.

I have no idea if the price is fair or not; but if all you can afford is a BBM grade mower, take a look at what your dealer, Depot and Lowe's has to offer before buying used. Dealers sell for the same price as BBM stores.

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #5  
My Hoe, I honestly cannot recommend that mower because I own one. Mine works well, but has been a constant maintenance nightmare with continual spindle and idler pulley problems. That model of B&S engine also several complaints related to fuel flow into the carburetor due to a sticking needle valve. I had the problem and fixed it myself, but my dealer told me it was a common problem.

I bought my LA145 lawn tractor in April of 2008 for $1,999 plus tax. With that, I got a 24 month warranty (or 120 hours). If the person selling you a mower has no records of his purchase, then you have no way of knowing if you have any warranty left. I'd say the warranty is worth at least $200 of the selling price because of the problems with this mower. With that in mind, I'd say the fellow is giving you a $400 discount off of new with no warranty. If I had it to do all over again, I would not have bought the LA145 that I own. I would have spent my money on the X300 series mower. My advice to you is to tell this fellow that you don't care to buy his mower and then look on craigslist for a used X300 series or some other mower. The LA145 is inexpensive, but will always have nagging problems. The latest thing on mine is the green paint peeling off in big chunks from the edges of the footrests. It's not due to rust, but rather poor paint prep. If you don't want to have to constantly work on your mower to keep it running well, then do not buy the LA145.

Link to my deck repair thread.

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #6  
I would pass on it. The price is too high for the mower and with no history of repairs it COULD be wore out. If you wanted a mower it might be better for you to purchase a new one with warranty and good financing rates form a dealer.

Who knows if you don't want it he may make the offer sweeter. He won't get that out of it on the market. He would be lucky to get $900 to $1000.

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #7  
I would pass on it. The price is too high for the mower and with no history of repairs it COULD be wore out. If you wanted a mower it might be better for you to purchase a new one with warranty and good financing rates form a dealer.

Who knows if you don't want it he may make the offer sweeter. He won't get that out of it on the market. He would be lucky to get $900 to $1000.

Any thing is possible but with less than 50 hours on it I seriously doubt it is worn out.

History of repairs? With this being a new mower there may not be any history of repairs.

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #8  
Maybe the OP will let us know what is/has happened. ??

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #9  
Maybe the OP will let us know what is/has happened. ??

Absolutely! And if the OP did buy the LA145, we can help him with any issues. Our intent is not to give him a hard time even if we think he could have done better. We are here to help.:)

/ Help ASAP, Please! Can't Find I.D. on L145 Series-- #10  
Any thing is possible but with less than 50 hours on it I seriously doubt it is worn out.

History of repairs? With this being a new mower there may not be any history of repairs.

Sorry I missed the 40.7 hrs. I change the engine oil every season no matter the hrs. If I owned it there would be two oil changes done. I think it is still too high, but I own a trailer and could haul one. May not be practical for him with his physical limitations.

One thing I wished, is in the rules I wished they would ask Original Posters to always do a follow up post. The final resolution is usually the most important part!