oil for x495

/ oil for x495 #1  

amos57

Tractor
JD X495
can I use JD plus synthetic 0w40 in my x495 with a yanmar diesel if not what should I use

/ oil for x495 #2  
can I use JD plus synthetic 0w40 in my x495 with a yanmar diesel if not what should I use

I would suggest heavier oil with a diesel - 15w40. I like to change mine a lot in my diesels because of all the particulate blowback and for shorter intervals there isn't a huge advantage with the synthetics over modern conventional blends. This is all my personal, somewhat educated opinion - this can start a holy war - there are other perspectives that have merit.

That lightweight synthetic is perfectly acceptable, though. Lots of people use it.

/ oil for x495 #3  
My John Deere Lube guide says to use the Plus-50 CJ-4 Oil, 15W-40, 0W-40 or 10W-30.

/ oil for x495
I will probably use 15w40 or 10w30 that was my initial thought but I read Deere said you could use 0w40 wanted to hear from others with more experience with small diesels. I am used to the large Deeres and I use 15w40 in them. Thanks :)

/ oil for x495 #6  
What does your owner manual say to use? In my 318 I use JD oil multi weight.

/ oil for x495 #7  
Would 0w40 be fore really cold climates??
I live in WI and use 15w40 in all my diesels and seems to work well. But they are all in an unheated pole shed.

Yes, the first number 0 denotes a good cold weather oil. I would be using AMSOIL DEO 5W-40, made right up the road from you, in Superior.

A 0W-40 and a 15W-40 only differ when cold, at operating temps they are both 40 wt oil. So using a 15W in cold weather is just making your engine work harder to pump engine oil to critical parts and make it less efficient. Many people fear 0W oils and for no good reason. Well maybe one in their mind, in that petroleum oils have a hard time meeting the 0W spec and thus most 0W-xx oils tend to be synthetic and most people want to cut corners when purchasing oils by looking only at price.

Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).

Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating.

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil.

You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils. An example is a 10W-30 which is commonly found in stores. When choosing oil, always follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

/ oil for x495 #8  
fyi

John Deere Plus 50 Supreme Motor Oil 0W-40 Chevron Texaco Global Lubricants

John Deere Plus 50 Supreme Motor Oil SAE 10W-30 Chevron Texaco Global Lubricants

John Deere Plus 50/Supreme Engine Oil 0W-4 Esso Petroleum Canada

John Deere Plus-4 Engine Oil 10W-30 Esso Petroleum Canada

John Deere Plus-4 huile moteur 10W-30 Esso Petroleum Canada

John Deere Plus-50 0W-40 Northland Products Company

John Deere Plus-50 II 0W-40 Northland Products Company

John Deere Plus-50 II huile moteur de haute qualité 10W-30 Esso Petroleum Canada

John Deere Plus-50 II Premium Engine Oil 10W-30 Esso Petroleum Canada

John Deere Plus-50 II SAE 10W-30 Northland Products Company

John Deere Plus-50 Supreme Engine Oil 0W-40 Esso Petroleum Canada