2" Receiver Solution for X749

/ 2" Receiver Solution for X749 #1  

tiger9a

Tractor
JD 425
Howdy All -
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on trading in my JD425 AWS on a new X749. One of the things I use my 425 for is jockeying trailers around for storage on my property. One of my trailers has a 2" ball and another has a 2 5/8 ball. As you can see from the picture of my 425, I had a buddy weld a 2" receiver to the rear weight bracket which, allows me to swap out to the correct ball size.

It looks like there is an add-on 1 1/4" receiver for the X700 series but that will never accept the ball sizes I need and is way too low to the ground. Can anyone out there help me with any ideas on how to get there? This is by no means a show stopper...I just hate to spend that kind of $$$ on the new machine and not have the utility I have with the setup on my 425.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• Right Rear.JPG
    Right Rear.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 449
   / 2" Receiver Solution for X749 #2  
2-5/8? wow, big trailer for a 1000 lb tractor.
i used the front 1-1/4 receiver for some trailers
(comes standard in X7) but never tried to
move my travel trailer with that big ball.

i would imagine you could get a machine shop to weld on
a piece of plate to any 1-1/4 ball mount to make room for
a hole large enough to mount the big ball on. then use another
standard mount for the 2", quick change between the 2.

you have that current hitch up pretty high, ever get
light in the front end with the big trailer on it?

/ 2" Receiver Solution for X749 #3  
Check with Tractor Supply's tow hitch pages. I believe they have a class 1 to a class 2 upsize adapter.

/ 2" Receiver Solution for X749
Dutch - They are aluminum boat trailers and I only move them around empty (boats are on lifts at the dock). The 425 moves them around just fine. You can also see from the pic that I have a JBSr bucket on the front of the machine...couple of cinder blocks in that and the front stays down just fine when moving the big trailer around. The ball is up a tad high but works just fine because I usually set the tongue jack on a block and only have to come up the height of the ball to get it off.

I guess I could have something welded up...I just notice that the receiver adapter they sell for the X749 goes on the bottom of the current hitch plate so whatever I have made up will have to come up quite a bit higher.

imgone - Thanks for the pointer will take a look at TS and see if I can find and adapter!

I'll keep you all posted on what I come up with...

Thanks!

John that makes the JBSr also tells me the front bracket works on both the 425 and the X7 series tractor without a mod so the hole pattern dimensions are identical on the front. I am wondering if the rear frame hole patterns may be the same too..?

/ 2" Receiver Solution for X749 #6  
In this pic you can see the JD hitch they make for the X7XX's that I installed on mine. The directions say to mount it under the hitch plate and I agree it's to low. With the holes that are in the hitch it self you can mount it on top of the plate if you want to make it higher and it should be stronger sitting on top of the plate vs hanging under it.

Like the others have said I just got a adapter that goes from a 1 1/4 to 2" and you can run what ever size ball you want.

Attachments

• hitch%20009.jpg
    hitch%20009.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 520
  • hitch%20002.jpg
    hitch%20002.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
   / 2" Receiver Solution for X749 #8  
No prob. good luck on the new X749 purchase!

/ 2" Receiver Solution for X749 #9  
There's some fairly large "drop" hitches out there,
turned upside down they become a "raise" hitch huh?

From E-trailer website:

Attachments

• RM-048-10.jpg
    RM-048-10.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 271
There's some fairly large "drop" hitches out there,
turned upside down they become a "raise" hitch huh?

From E-trailer website:

Yep...thanks for the pointer to the e-trailer website. Looks like I'll be able to find everything I'll need to make it work there!