54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #21  
I hate to be accused of "piling on" but I've used my TSC Horsestall Mat edge for 2 full seasons now and show no appreciable wear.I love the ability to push the snow from the driveway up onto the lawn without doing any (or very minor) damage to the sod-even when not frozen. I've plowed plenty with skid shoes and the same can't be said until the ground freezes hard.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #22  
Yup. I cut mine at 4" and have 1" of mat between asphalt and moldboard. 1/2" below the wear edge and 1-1/2" above the wear edge. Still can flip it and use it again. The more mat you have below the wear edge, the more flexible the mat becomes. To each his own!!! :thumbsup:

How are you cutting the mat? I assume you maybe using a utility knife, sounds like the best solution.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #23  
The biggest help with edge wear on my old 322 with the 54 inch blade was to plate the skid shoes and increase the "footprint". Then keeping the settings of the shoes and the edge as close to the same as possible. My plating was 3inches wide 5 inches long. The leading and trailing edges were curled up to minimize digging in.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #24  
Gonerafting said:
How are you cutting the mat? I assume you maybe using a utility knife, sounds like the best solution.

I cut my 3/4" thick horse stall mat with circular saw. I put the mat on a couple of pieces of 2x wood and set blade just deep enough to cut through.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #25  

I used a utility knife with a new sharp blade. Was thinking of a jigsaw or circular saw but thought they may "smoke up" the garage. It is tough cutting it by hand with a utility knife. I can see using a fine tooth plywood blade on a circular saw as being easier though. Probably would get a cleaner cut using the saw.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #26  
I used a utility knife with a new sharp blade. Was thinking of a jigsaw or circular saw but thought they may "smoke up" the garage. It is tough cutting it by hand with a utility knife. I can see using a fine tooth plywood blade on a circular saw as being easier though. Probably would get a cleaner cut using the saw.

Thanks, I have some Horse Mat laying around, sounds good!

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #28  
I have a Furukawa loader and the cutting edge was worn out, I went to equipment dealers and they wanted a lot of money, I wanted a 5/8 x 60 x 7 inch piece I was driving and there was a place that scrapped and rebuilt machinery they gave me the name of a steel outfit that they used, I got it beveled and and welded it in. I live in ROCK CREEK and it is all rock, it is barely smoothed out. I got quoted up to $400 and paid less than $100 for a great piece.
I would look around and maybe someone knows what the good stuff is called but there is no way a cutting edge should wear out that quickly.
If you want to cut rubber mating use a utility knife, and I have an old mustard bottle with solvent in it just a little on the rubber removes the tension and it will cut like butter.
When I worked for a trucking company we use to use a table saw to cut mud flaps.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #29  
Same plow, same problem. Of course, here in northern Va, we get pummelled with snow; maybe plowed 6-8 times in three years. Edge and skid shoes are history. Coal is also high carbon, and would likely last as long as this edge. Maybe with Christmas close at hand, I'll find some coal in my stocking. Couldn't any worse than the cutting edge on the 54" JD plow.

JKIT62

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #30  

I sandwiched mine between a 2 x 6 and a 4 x 4 that I had with a couple of nails. Then cut the staight edge with a sawzall using a pretty fine tooth blade ...