54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #1  

Yellowfever440

Gold Member
I wore out 2 john deere snow plow cutting edges on my 54 inch plow that is mounted to me 455. Has anyone else found a worth after market replacement? On eBay there is a poly edge and I have thought of buying a truck plow edge and cutting it down and drilling holes in my plow but I don't want to keep buying deere's edges if they aren't going to last, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #2  
How much is a Deere edge, and is it any more than a piece of cold rolled steel with holes in it?

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge
They are 50 bucks and they say they are high carbon steel, I went through 2 last year and I didn't even plow that much and also I wore out a set of skid shoes.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #4  
I had the same issue with my 54" plow for my Cub Cadet Super Garden tractor. The plow is a beast, weighing in at 220lbs. So it would wear down the flimsy 3/16" cutting edge in one season on my long paved driveway.

I went to a metal supply shop and had them cut me a replacement edge out of 1/2" stock. I made the dimensions for the height about 1 inch greater than the stock cutting edge, to give me more to wear down before the plow starts touching the surface to be plowed.

I was amazed at how heavy the new cutting edge was - I'll bet it weighs 50-60 pounds. So my 54" plow now probably weighs over 250lbs.

I'll never need another cutting edge. I've been using the first side of the custom cutting edge for 10 years and it's barely worn.

If you have hydraulic lift for your plow, trimming down a truck plow cutting edge or making one custom will solve your problem. If you raise your plow manually, the added weight might be an issue.

Kevin

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #5  
As stated, buy some 1/2 in. cutting edge, then weld it on.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #6  
Did you know the edge is made to flip over? When it is wore out take it off and flip the edge and bolt it back on.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge
My edge isn't reversible, I have a friend that did the 1/2 edge and his didn't last but a year or so, if I do that I will use stainless probably because it will wear longer, but would also be expensive. Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely look into the 1/2" wear edge though, as long as it isn't extremely price, I doubt it would be.

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #9  
I ordered one of the Poly Edges you mentioned in another thread for my new 54 inch snow plow. I'm going to see if it is possible to place in in front of the existing edge, if not, I'll try it alone. I decided in wasn't too much of an purchase in comparison to the money spent putting the snow plow on in the first place. I'll post my impressions when I've used in awhile, if it snows here. So far, this year I've only had 5 inches once, a couple a years ago, 5 feet. :laughing:

/ 54 inch john deere snow plow wear edge #10  
I don't know what you are plowing on. I have backtop and I use a rubber edge on my 54". The skid shoes dont touch the drive either. I have done 4 winters with no significant wear on the rubbber.