317 Stator

/ 317 Stator #1  

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
I am trying to test the stator on my 317. It has the onan p218 engine. Is there a simple test to check the stator. I want to exhaust all possibilities before I decide to pull the engine and and flywheel to get at the stator. I am wondering if simply removing the battery cable and seeing if it continues to run will tell me for sure if the stator is bad. Is there something simple to check that I may have overlooked.

/ 317 Stator
Thanks for the good info. I will test the regulator as soon as I get a chance.

/ 317 Stator
I installed a new stator on my 317. The battery voltage reads 12.87 with the tractor not running. With the tractor running the battery voltage is no higher than 12.47 with the engine at a fast idle. I am showing 37 plus ac volts at the stator leads. The middle lead reads about 12.3 to 12.5 dc at a fast idle. The battery was removed and given a full charge before the new stator was installed. I am somewhat at a loss as to what to check next. Has anyone had a similar problem. Any suggestions appreciated. Stumped in N.C.

/ 317 Stator #5  
Your voltage regulator is BAD!

/ 317 Stator
I neglected to say that I installed a new voltage regulator along with the stator. I am still getting the same readings as with the old stator and voltage regulator. That is why it has me kind of stumped. After the holidays I am going to check every inch of wiring until I find the problem. At this point in time I have to believe it is a wiring problem.