processor and I cleaned off the tractor and
laid the chains down in front of the tarp I
was using to work on.

I started installing them and after I had the first
tire hooked on the inside at the last link I started
to hook the long connector hook and found that
the chains were too long apparently they dont
make chains for this tire size by looking at the
tirechains.com list for garden tractors.

SO I am looking at buying parts and and the
breaking and mending tools from tirechains.com
versus simply using bolt cutters and connecting
links. My question is what have the LA115 owners done
if they use thier mules for snow removal?

I can use the older V Bar chains I have as I will have
the mending and breaking tols and spares if I do this and would
prefer to this as I would like more traction even with the
weight box and my driveway is old asphault so scraping it
is a non issue.

I have ladder snow chains for my trucks so the purchase of the tooling
and spare parts will not go to waste for sure.

I wish this was yet not a reason to be dissapointed with this dealer but.........

Thanks much folks and happy holidays to you all.

Last edited:
   / John Deere LA115 questions #2  
So how short are the chains when you tried to fasten (close) the outside latch?

I would suggest adding links like shown here, as they work good for repair as well are cheap. No tools required other than pliers.

Attachments

• chain_link.JPG
    chain_link.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 260
   / John Deere LA115 questions
I solved my problem with the over sized tire chains today(sort of), I purchased a new set of 2 link ladder chains from chainsrus.com. I was going to buy the repair tool to break and mend the chain but the new chains were less money than the repair tool itself!, maybe later I will buy the tool as I have truck tire chains and tractor/truck V bar chains.

I wil go back to the dealer and ask for a refund for the chain set as they are too big being(20-10-8) for the turf tires which are 20-8-8.

So if anyone has need of 20-10-8, 4-link (ladder type) tire chains that are unused and simply unpacked out of the individual plastic bags and the canvas storage bag they were shipped in I will sell them for my cost and shipping.

Last edited:
   / John Deere LA115 questions #4  
Sorry
I misread OP and thinking the chains were too short.

Too long in the side chains can just be cut back, but too long in the cross chains are more of a pain to correct.

Now if supplied by the Deere dealer and were wrong, I'd be taking them back for exchange, refund, or a correction in size to fit.

Yup, they were supplied by the dealer when I bought the lawn tractor this March 2011. I opened the bag yeasterday figuring I had the nice weather to install them and the blacktop was warm with the tarp on it.

I wll call them back tommorow and ask for a refund as they told me they do surgery on them otherwise to make them fit-its and an excuse to go to the Olive Garden too :licking:

I have enough overlap that 2 or 3 sets of cross chains would piggy back and still have too much chain flailing around so I wil ask for my money back.

thanks much,

leonz:thumbsup:

Sorry
I misread OP and thinking the chains were too short.

Too long in the side chains can just be cut back, but too long in the cross chains are more of a pain to correct.

Now if supplied by the Deere dealer and were wrong, I'd be taking them back for exchange, refund, or a correction in size to fit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I just called the dealer and they said they could not accept them for return and a refund because its too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, what did they expect for me to install them in June when I did not need them???!!!!! $#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()

Well I just lit a fire under somebodys chain in their main office we will see if I get a refund?????

The power of the telephone and conversation once again,
have solved my problem with the wrong snow chains.
I wil be recieving a refund for the money I spent.

I love it when plan comes together.:thumbsup:

/ John Deere LA115 questions #9  
Sounds like they made it right, which is only right.
Sometimes having the sales, service, and parts deptartments each on their own to be profit centers will have its drawbacks. Going to parts to clear up a sales mistake doesn't work.
Not saying this is what happened, but have seen it too many times. Easy to forget they are all in it together in the end.
Curious what part no. they gave you originally and what part no. they will now get for you?

I looked at the bag yesterday and its too cold to go out and look now but I think it was TYM 220?, anyway I will be going back there on monday and get a few oil and air filters and a cash balance as I have the right chains from ChainsRus.com and I want to have lunch at the Olive Garden so thats another good reason to go over there.

Apparently they never stock the chains for a small lawn mower, hence the cobbing up of snow chains I sure as H(** was not going to do that and have to buy more connectors, at least I have the right chains and I will be installing them shortly.

Happy holidays,