Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75
  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    91
    Location
    New Martinsville, WV
    Tractor
    jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520

    Default X700 series

    So I have wondered this for a while, what is everyone opinion on 2 wheel steer tractors vs AWS tractors? Here in WV it is hard to find a flat spot, so the majority of our mowing is on hills. We have always had just standard 2 wheel steer tractors in the size range of x 700 series tractors (like 445 and ect). So we might be needing to replace on of our mowing monsters and I just want everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance and merry christmas.

  2. #2
    Platinum Member Deere Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    923
    Location
    Hohenwald, TN
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

    Default Re: X700 series

    Quote Originally Posted by zlock24 View Post
    So I have wondered this for a while, what is everyone opinion on 2 wheel steer tractors vs AWS tractors? Here in WV it is hard to find a flat spot, so the majority of our mowing is on hills. We have always had just standard 2 wheel steer tractors in the size range of x 700 series tractors (like 445 and ect). So we might be needing to replace on of our mowing monsters and I just want everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance and merry christmas.
    People tell me the AWS has a tighter turning radius to get around trees. I have a X740, 2WD and 2WS with a 62" deck and I can mow a pretty tight radius with that. I always run chains and weights on it and I have no problem going up and down and across 18-20 deg. hills. I would have a tendency to get a 4WD before I would get a AWS if there are a lot of hills. It may be just me, but I think AWS are for geeks
    3720, Frontier 6' BB; 6' Rear Blade.; Loaded tires and Ballast Box; Dirt Scoop.

    X740; 62" Deck; w/47" Snoblower; 42" Hydraulic Tiller.
    54" Front blade; 48" Belly Blade

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    91
    Location
    New Martinsville, WV
    Tractor
    jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude

    People tell me the AWS has a tighter turning radius to get around trees. I have a X740, 2WD and 2WS with a 62" deck and I can mow a pretty tight radius with that. I always run chains and weights on it and I have no problem going up and down and across 18-20 deg. hills. I would have a tendency to get a 4WD before I would get a AWS if there are a lot of hills. It may be just me, but I think AWS are for geeks
    Haha I do also have a kubota bx that is 4x4 and does decent on hills, but I've heard people say AWS tractor do much better on hills especially when turning uphill, that's one of my main problems is that when turning uphill in my 445 the front likes to slide instead of grabbing and turning

  4. #4
    Silver Member Gonerafting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    137
    Location
    Elk,WA
    Tractor
    x744

    Default Re: X700 series

    Buy the tractor that fits your needs, that's why John deere has so many Models. As for AWS being for "geeks", well, I would not buy one without this feature in my yard with a need to very tight turning radius. It totally meets my needs, maybe not yours.

  5. #5
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default Re: X700 series

    All wheel steer seems quirky to me. I would never own one. For the price I would get a ZTR mower and be able to turn even sharper - but you do loose out on the "garden tractor" but I have enough other tractors to complement. My next will be a ZTR.

  6. #6
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    11,496
    Location
    Upper Midwest USA
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

    Default Re: X700 series

    Quote Originally Posted by zlock24 View Post
    Haha I do also have a kubota bx that is 4x4 and does decent on hills, but I've heard people say AWS tractor do much better on hills especially when turning uphill, that's one of my main problems is that when turning uphill in my 445 the front likes to slide instead of grabbing and turning
    I've had several (425, 445, 455) with AWS and they are just awesome when working a sidehill. Can easily turn uphill and the rear comes around under, keeping the front wheels from sliding. ( I used to have a straight tractor model 212 Deere and Wheel Horse that had problems turning uphill when on a side).

    Many hours on these AWS and no problem with the integrity of the design.
    I wouldn't be without.

    That said, the diesel is a bit heavier on the front wheels than the gas engines, and sometimes when turning uphill the rear wheels will tend to slip a bit. Usually wet grass or when under the hickory trees and the hulls cause less traction.

  7. #7
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    91
    Location
    New Martinsville, WV
    Tractor
    jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520

    Default

    Ok so my next question, are these AWS tractors as durable as standard tractors? Any one have any problems with them?

  8. #8
    Platinum Member JDTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: X700 series

    Personally I wouldn't bother with AWS.

    While it does turn a tighter circle, it isn't enough to be significant, in my opinion. I trim around everything with the gas weed trimmer afterwards anyways, I don't need to rub the edge of the deck up against everything to try and save me from firing up the trimmer. Even if I am a good 12 inches away from a tree or object when I try to mow around, I don't go around twice. I just eye it up with the gas trimmer and trim it to level with the surrounding grass.

    I honestly think one good pass of the entire lawn with the riding mower, and a good hand on a gas trimmer, is faster, then trying to trim everything with the edge of the deck.

    AWS feels a little weird when your pulling a little cart behind you or if you have implements on. As one member said, I find it quirky and really not an advantage.

    The X740 is about as bulletproof as they come in my opinion. It's a diesel, it's 2WD, and 2 wheel steering. There is no full time AWD like the X748 which has those individual hydraulic motors on each wheel. It is a complicated design that is likely costly to fix once off of warranty. In my opinion, 4WD is just not needed on machines these small, especially when they come with locking differentials. Throw on chains, some weight, lock up that axle, and those back 2 wheels will push you through just about anything you can steer the nose towards.

    These are riding mowers after all, not tractors like the 2x20 series and up, where 4WD is essential.

  9. #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    91
    Location
    New Martinsville, WV
    Tractor
    jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDTank
    Personally I wouldn't bother with AWS.

    While it does turn a tighter circle, it isn't enough to be significant, in my opinion. I trim around everything with the gas weed trimmer afterwards anyways, I don't need to rub the edge of the deck up against everything to try and save me from firing up the trimmer. Even if I am a good 12 inches away from a tree or object when I try to mow around, I don't go around twice. I just eye it up with the gas trimmer and trim it to level with the surrounding grass.

    I honestly think one good pass of the entire lawn with the riding mower, and a good hand on a gas trimmer, is faster, then trying to trim everything with the edge of the deck.

    AWS feels a little weird when your pulling a little cart behind you or if you have implements on. As one member said, I find it quirky and really not an advantage.

    The X740 is about as bulletproof as they come in my opinion. It's a diesel, it's 2WD, and 2 wheel steering. There is no full time AWD like the X748 which has those individual hydraulic motors on each wheel. It is a complicated design that is likely costly to fix once off of warranty. In my opinion, 4WD is just not needed on machines these small, especially when they come with locking differentials. Throw on chains, some weight, lock up that axle, and those back 2 wheels will push you through just about anything you can steer the nose towards.

    These are riding mowers after all, not tractors like the 2x20 series and up, where 4WD is essential.
    Trust me I'm not afraid of a gas weed eater, I already do up to 12 hours of that a month

    The main reason i need something in the x700 series is because I need something that will stay planted to the ground, I've tried the larger tractors for mowing these hills and they sure do have that pucker factor.

    I love my 445 because it feels amazing on hills, and I'm not talking little, I'm talking hills 20+ degree slopes and it it frustrating making an up hill turn, it just wants to slide. Then I have to back up and then go up the hill. I have chains on and the diff lock is used a lot. Nothing is scarier than going thru a spring and the next thing you know your dangerous skidding down a steep slope, like I said even with chains on. I put nearly 200 hours a year mowing on my current 445.

    The tractor will be used solely for mowing because I have a larger compact for all of my digging needs.

    I just need advice on it's uses for hills

  10. #10
    Platinum Member JDTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: X700 series

    Maybe a X748SE is what you need then?

    The full time AWD would likely help you drastically on the hills. I didn't know you had THAT many hills and that steep. The front wheels pulling while the back pushing would probably help a great deal in a situation like yours.

    AWS helps too, but I think the AWD would be more useful. Again, just my $0.02!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Case 580 CK first series vs B series
    By mnsr in forum Case-IH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
  2. JD 5083e -opinions?
    By bunchgrass in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
  3. 3-Point Hitch X700 Series 3 Point Hitch Lift Capacity
    By MowerDude in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
  4. Is Cub Cadet 2500 Series Worth the Money?
    By MelLandry in forum Cub Cadet L&G
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-30-2009, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.