X700 series

/ X700 series #1  

zlock24

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520
So I have wondered this for a while, what is everyone opinion on 2 wheel steer tractors vs AWS tractors? Here in WV it is hard to find a flat spot, so the majority of our mowing is on hills. We have always had just standard 2 wheel steer tractors in the size range of x 700 series tractors (like 445 and ect). So we might be needing to replace on of our mowing monsters and I just want everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance and merry christmas.

/ X700 series #2  
So I have wondered this for a while, what is everyone opinion on 2 wheel steer tractors vs AWS tractors? Here in WV it is hard to find a flat spot, so the majority of our mowing is on hills. We have always had just standard 2 wheel steer tractors in the size range of x 700 series tractors (like 445 and ect). So we might be needing to replace on of our mowing monsters and I just want everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance and merry christmas.

People tell me the AWS has a tighter turning radius to get around trees. I have a X740, 2WD and 2WS with a 62" deck and I can mow a pretty tight radius with that. I always run chains and weights on it and I have no problem going up and down and across 18-20 deg. hills. I would have a tendency to get a 4WD before I would get a AWS if there are a lot of hills. It may be just me, but I think AWS are for geeks :laughing:

/ X700 series
Deere Dude said:
People tell me the AWS has a tighter turning radius to get around trees. I have a X740, 2WD and 2WS with a 62" deck and I can mow a pretty tight radius with that. I always run chains and weights on it and I have no problem going up and down and across 18-20 deg. hills. I would have a tendency to get a 4WD before I would get a AWS if there are a lot of hills. It may be just me, but I think AWS are for geeks :laughing:

Haha I do also have a Kubota bx that is 4x4 and does decent on hills, but I've heard people say AWS tractor do much better on hills especially when turning uphill, that's one of my main problems is that when turning uphill in my 445 the front likes to slide instead of grabbing and turning

/ X700 series #4  
Buy the tractor that fits your needs, that's why John Deere has so many Models. As for AWS being for "geeks", well, I would not buy one without this feature in my yard with a need to very tight turning radius. It totally meets my needs, maybe not yours.

/ X700 series #5  
All wheel steer seems quirky to me. I would never own one. For the price I would get a ZTR mower and be able to turn even sharper - but you do loose out on the "garden tractor" but I have enough other tractors to complement. My next will be a ZTR.

/ X700 series #6  
Haha I do also have a Kubota bx that is 4x4 and does decent on hills, but I've heard people say AWS tractor do much better on hills especially when turning uphill, that's one of my main problems is that when turning uphill in my 445 the front likes to slide instead of grabbing and turning

I've had several (425, 445, 455) with AWS and they are just awesome when working a sidehill. Can easily turn uphill and the rear comes around under, keeping the front wheels from sliding. ( I used to have a straight tractor model 212 Deere and Wheel Horse that had problems turning uphill when on a side).

Many hours on these AWS and no problem with the integrity of the design.
I wouldn't be without.

That said, the diesel is a bit heavier on the front wheels than the gas engines, and sometimes when turning uphill the rear wheels will tend to slip a bit. Usually wet grass or when under the hickory trees and the hulls cause less traction.

/ X700 series
Ok so my next question, are these AWS tractors as durable as standard tractors? Any one have any problems with them?

/ X700 series #8  
Personally I wouldn't bother with AWS.

While it does turn a tighter circle, it isn't enough to be significant, in my opinion. I trim around everything with the gas weed trimmer afterwards anyways, I don't need to rub the edge of the deck up against everything to try and save me from firing up the trimmer. Even if I am a good 12 inches away from a tree or object when I try to mow around, I don't go around twice. I just eye it up with the gas trimmer and trim it to level with the surrounding grass.

I honestly think one good pass of the entire lawn with the riding mower, and a good hand on a gas trimmer, is faster, then trying to trim everything with the edge of the deck.

AWS feels a little weird when your pulling a little cart behind you or if you have implements on. As one member said, I find it quirky and really not an advantage.

The X740 is about as bulletproof as they come in my opinion. It's a diesel, it's 2WD, and 2 wheel steering. There is no full time AWD like the X748 which has those individual hydraulic motors on each wheel. It is a complicated design that is likely costly to fix once off of warranty. In my opinion, 4WD is just not needed on machines these small, especially when they come with locking differentials. Throw on chains, some weight, lock up that axle, and those back 2 wheels will push you through just about anything you can steer the nose towards.

These are riding mowers after all, not tractors like the 2x20 series and up, where 4WD is essential.

/ X700 series
JDTank said:
Personally I wouldn't bother with AWS.

While it does turn a tighter circle, it isn't enough to be significant, in my opinion. I trim around everything with the gas weed trimmer afterwards anyways, I don't need to rub the edge of the deck up against everything to try and save me from firing up the trimmer. Even if I am a good 12 inches away from a tree or object when I try to mow around, I don't go around twice. I just eye it up with the gas trimmer and trim it to level with the surrounding grass.

I honestly think one good pass of the entire lawn with the riding mower, and a good hand on a gas trimmer, is faster, then trying to trim everything with the edge of the deck.

AWS feels a little weird when your pulling a little cart behind you or if you have implements on. As one member said, I find it quirky and really not an advantage.

The X740 is about as bulletproof as they come in my opinion. It's a diesel, it's 2WD, and 2 wheel steering. There is no full time AWD like the X748 which has those individual hydraulic motors on each wheel. It is a complicated design that is likely costly to fix once off of warranty. In my opinion, 4WD is just not needed on machines these small, especially when they come with locking differentials. Throw on chains, some weight, lock up that axle, and those back 2 wheels will push you through just about anything you can steer the nose towards.

These are riding mowers after all, not tractors like the 2x20 series and up, where 4WD is essential.

Trust me I'm not afraid of a gas weed eater, I already do up to 12 hours of that a month

The main reason i need something in the x700 series is because I need something that will stay planted to the ground, I've tried the larger tractors for mowing these hills and they sure do have that pucker factor.

I love my 445 because it feels amazing on hills, and I'm not talking little, I'm talking hills 20+ degree slopes and it it frustrating making an up hill turn, it just wants to slide. Then I have to back up and then go up the hill. I have chains on and the diff lock is used a lot. Nothing is scarier than going thru a spring and the next thing you know your dangerous skidding down a steep slope, like I said even with chains on. I put nearly 200 hours a year mowing on my current 445.

The tractor will be used solely for mowing because I have a larger compact for all of my digging needs.

I just need advice on it's uses for hills

/ X700 series #10  
Maybe a X748SE is what you need then?

The full time AWD would likely help you drastically on the hills. I didn't know you had THAT many hills and that steep. The front wheels pulling while the back pushing would probably help a great deal in a situation like yours.

AWS helps too, but I think the AWD would be more useful. Again, just my $0.02! :D