Tractor
    2010 John Deere X500, 1994 JD LX172, 2000 JD JS63

Default John Deere X500 Snowblower Questions

I am considering a blower for my 2010 JD X500 and I'm interested in hearing about your experiences, opinions and knowledge related to the JD 44" snow blower attachment or other brands you think I should consider.

Currently I am using a 2002 Ariens 1024Pro walk behind unit. This unit has been bulletproof and handles our Northern NY winters like a champ. However, the unit is a little narrow and I'd like to upgrade to something bigger and move away from the walk behind.

As far as I can tell there are only two choices for the JD X500: either the JD 44 Model 23045 or the Bercomac.

I've never seen a Berco and haven't seen the JD model mounted. So I don't know even basic details such as:
    • How hard is it to lift with the foot lever?
    • How much clearance does it have?
    • How many turns does it take to fully turn the chute?
    • How sturdy are the mounts? Etc.

My local JD dealer did not have this blower in stock last summer or this fall and the only one's I've seen to date are the blowers for the 100 series in Lowes. It's hard to tell for sure but these units look somewhat cheap and not nearly as heavy duty as the Ariens it would replace. Accordingly, I'm concerned about quality and I have the usual questions about functionality, suitability, and durability.

Actually, my biggest concern is suitability to our local conditions, which can vary significantly. We definitely get a lot of snow (200-300") but we also seem to get it all: light fluffy snow, wet heavy snow, a few inches at time, many feet of snow at a time, and even fairly big chunks of hardpack/ ice - which are sometimes left at the end of my driveway by the city plow.

Regarding the periodic ice issues, I'm worried the non-serrated blades won't break up the chunks, will jam up and I'll be replacing pins like crazy, or even worse - blow out the auger gear case which looks relatively light duty compared to the Ariens Pro, which has a HD cast iron gear case that houses a steel helical gear and bronze worm gear (for less heat generation and longevity).

Actually on the JD website I didn't see any high end features advertised such as HD gear case, bearings instead of bushings, quick turn chute controls, heavy duty skids, or anything that elicits a strong sense of quality or functionality. Accordingly, I am wondering just what to expect from the unit

Also, if I go with (or can even find) the Bercomac, will I have any issues (such as controls in the way, mounting issues) if I decide to add a JD blade, cab, or other accessories later on?

Whichever way I go this is going to be an expensive proposition considering that I will need to (or want to) add chains, weights, cab, HD skid shoes, electric lift, etc. So, I'm trying to learn as much as possible before pulling the trigger.

This post went a bit long so, thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your replies.

Pete
    Currently using: 2010 John Deere X500, 1994 John Deere LX172 w/bagger, 2000 JD JS63 w/bagger, JD 48" Plug Aerator, JD 10P Cart

Tractor
    JD X585

Default Re: John Deere X500 Snowblower Questions

easy solution,
    trade it for an X7 series
    with the shaft drive quick hitch
    snowblower!
    you will find that blower
    has a very stout gearcase, and a lot of
    people on TBN have been quite satisfied with
    the performance of that blower, even on the
    compact tractors.

I don't think you will find either the JD or Berco snowblower
    to rival the Pro Ariens in build quality, and from the sounds
    of it you won't be happy, even though most say they
    perform just fine.

you are right about the aluminum gearcase, and it even has
    a plastic spout. but again, most people seem to be
    happy with them. i don't think there are many berco
    blowers around here in use, at least I haven't seen any.

Tractor
    2014 John Deere X534

Smile Re: John Deere X500 Snowblower Questions

As far as I can tell there are only two choices for the JD X500: either the JD 44 Model 23045 or the Bercomac.
    Keep looking, Deere also makes a 47 inch blower, alot more heavy duty.
    Hours=(20.2)-2014 X534,bought May 29th,2 spinner knobs,brush guard,convert-a-ball front and rear,mulch kit,Gator blades,J/D 10P cart,4 suitcase weights,Brinly 24x36 poly lawn roller.Markcuda.com
    "if you like your healthcare,you can keep it"
    "if you like your doctor,you can keep them"

Tractor

Thanks for the replies. I found quite a bit of info the last few weeks and while I'm leaning toward the Berco, I'm waiting to see one in person before I decide.
    Currently using: 2010 John Deere X500, 1994 John Deere LX172 w/bagger, 2000 JD JS63 w/bagger, JD 48" Plug Aerator, JD 10P Cart

Tractor
    John Deere 425

I have a JD425 and finally broke down to fit a 47" snowblower. During my back and forth considerations over past couple of years, I looked at the Berco rigs and the walk behinds, but my 1500' driveway eliminated the smaller walk behinds.

I have been plowing snow with my hydraulic 54" front blade, but depth of snow makes work very long since i need to clear current snow fall and plow a shoulder for future snow falls.

Since I already have the front hydraulic quick attachment for my blade, I eliminated the Berco from consideration. Berco lifts and JD lifts are not compatible. I can switch between the blade and the blower in less than 10 minutes.

Don't forget that you will need suitcase weights in the back to counter balance lift off. My 425 is heavy enough on flat grounds but my 6 weights anchor the back wheels for great traction on the up hill drives.

Tractor
    John Deere X500

I have A 44" snowblower Attachment for an X500 John Deere tractor. It is still under warranty. I have replaced the auger gear five times, one pulley and now the Poly fan on it. Needless to say I would not recommend this snowblower.

Tractor
    JD x360

I am surprised to hear this. Most other post praise the 44' and the 48" blowers. All u-tube videos show them working great ? I am puzzled. Do you have a paved driveway or stone, and under what circumstances were you using the snow blower when auger and poly fan failed? Just asking these questions because I have been a diesel truck mechanic for over 35 years now and am always willing to learn new things.

Tractor

Thought you guys might appreciate an update:

Back when I first asked this question I was not able to see a Berco in person so I kept postponing my decision. Anyway time marched on and I just and kept using my Ariens Pro walk behind, which continues to serve me well. Finally, this year I got more serious and last week I ordered the Bercomac 48" Northeast blower w/electric lift, suit case weights, tire chains, and a Cab built by Original Tractor Cab.

I imagine it will be a few weeks or more before everything arrives and I'll re-post when I get everything mounted and try it out.

BTW - I'm considering a Coleman golf cart heater for the cab. Does anyone have any experience with this item?

Pete