John Deere LX178 Noise?

/ John Deere LX178 Noise? #1  

dreamen

Tractor
john deere LX178 & LX277
I have had this mower since new and has served me well, I cut about 2 acres of grass all summer and pick up leaves in fall with a jarco wagon and it works great without a power flow. My concern now is a noise, like a bearing or? I have taken the mower deck off, it does it when it idles but does not vary with engine speed. When I push on the brake peddle and lock it with the brake lock it quits and as soon as I release it and go, the noise is there. I do not think it is the engine bearing as it is a steady speed. If it were in the engine it would vary with the engine speed. Would like to get it fixed before spring and would like to do myself and not take to dealer. I have taken the seat, and frame cover off and I cannot pinpoint the noise. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help

/ John Deere LX178 Noise? #2  
Possibly could be a bearing going bad in one of the transmission drive belt idler pulleys.

/ John Deere LX178 Noise?
Where is that located? Maybe on the transaxel? If I remember right there is just the main pully on the motor. Appreciate the help.

/ John Deere LX178 Noise? #4  
:welcome: dreamen

Shown here are the drive pulley's and idlers.

I'd suggest letting it set and run for a length of time, like an hour.
Then shut off and feel the bearings to see if one is hot to the touch. That should identify if it is a bearing in an idler or not.

Also, if it seems to be brake related, look for some debris in the brake drum/ brake band area.

Attachments

• 178LX_drive_system.JPG
    178LX_drive_system.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 3,877
Thanks will try that, I took off the seat and the green metal frame so I could see the pulley's cleaned out the plastic fan as it was full of dirt. When running I could not pinpoint the noise on the idler pulleys. Never thought of checking for heat. Will let you know what I find out. Have a Wonderful New Year!! Next project is the LX277 I just picked up, going to take the 178 to the cabin.

/ John Deere LX178 Noise? #6  
Use a mechanics stethoscope and listen to each of the pulleys by putting the tip of the scope on the bolt of the pulley while the engine is running. I found my bad pulley really quick with this method. Also, have you check the level of fluid in the trans?

Mechanic's Stethoscope

Will give that a try, Thanks. I just do not believe it is a pully as I check each of them before. Was also thinking, isn't there a drive clutch? When I press the peddle and lock on the brake it quits. There must be a drive clutch that engages when I release the brake and then drive the tractor? That is my thought and fear as I think these are expensive?

/ John Deere LX178 Noise? #8  
I don't see a drive clutch (see posted pic of pulleys) as one pulley is on the engine and the other is on the tranny. The two idler pulleys are linked to your "clutch" pedal (that I think you have).
Maybe something is vibrating (rattling noise) that is locked down when the brake is on.

/ John Deere LX178 Noise? #9  
Will give that a try, Thanks. I just do not believe it is a pully as I check each of them before. Was also thinking, isn't there a drive clutch? When I press the peddle and lock on the brake it quits. There must be a drive clutch that engages when I release the brake and then drive the tractor? That is my thought and fear as I think these are expensive?
Even if it's not one of the pulleys, the Mechanic's Stethoscope should let you listen and pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Since you can make it go away by pushing the brake, it should make diagnosing with the Mechanic's Stethoscope easier, though it may take two people. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

/ John Deere LX178 Noise? #10  
You can put a long screwdriver up to your ear also if you don't have the scope.