Deck size = Pro's and Con's

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
Is there a downside to going with a larger deck, say the 60 inch 7-Iron on the X740 tractor? I already know about deck leveling and how the wider deck will scalp more on uneven ground, but I am wondering if there is anything else to consider.

Narrow gates are not an issue for me, there is only one gate I would like to make it through, but that gate is a definite no with even the smallest deck on this machine. Luckily I have a larger entrance I can use around the back.

So what are the pro's and con's of say a 48 or 54 inch deck, vs the 60 inch deck? I am concerned that the 7-Iron might be to much deck for the X740? That's a huge deck they crammed under there, and when it get's filled up with thick grass, I don't want any bogging down issues.

How about the 7-iron vs the regular yellow decks?

I would say 50% of the time I will be bagging, and 50% of the time it will be side discharge. I will not be mulching at any time so that is not important to me. I know the deck will need to come off about twice a month, once for cleaning and once for hauling supplies out to the barn (narrow gates) with a utility cart. In that sense, I can see the drive over 7-Iron being the winner.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #2  
I had a 62" yellow on a x495 and currently own a 72" seven iron on a 4310. If you have to move the deck after it is off, go with the yellow. You would have to abuse the yellow to wear it out and the weight difference/price difference is not worth it to me.

I bought the Gator blades Deere sells from Oregon. WORTH EVERY PENNY!! I bought a spare set. If you put those on you would likely never need the bagger. The yellow deck on the x495 was so easy to remove you would not believe it.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #3  
My 445 (similar to the modern day x700) has never had a problem powering a 60" deck. With a x740 you have the torque of a yanmar diesel, so it should never even bog down with a 60" in thick wet grass.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's
My 445 (similar to the modern day x700) has never had a problem powering a 60" deck. With a x740 you have the torque of a yanmar diesel, so it should never even bog down with a 60" in thick wet grass.

I know I just figured I would check and see. The 7-Iron is a huge deck and can process a heck of a lot of grass. Given I have never had the chance to drive one of the diesel X7xx series, I just wanted to be sure they have the oomph I would expect from a torquey diesel engine.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #5  
Also IMO the 7iron deck processes the grass much better than the yellow deck

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #6  
I like the good old middle of the road 54" deck myself. I only have experience with the 54", so did a quick search for the 7-iron and this is what I came up with:

JDTank said:
- Does a bagger work on the 7iron deck? I really have no interest in ordering a tractor WITHOUT a 7iron deck, I have seen the difference they make and I feel it is a superior deck to the standard yellow decks.

JDTank said:
and the 7-Iron deck seems to do a lot nicer job then the regular decks that tend to clump.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's
I can be the first to admit I may have made up my mind per-maturely given my nature. I like to buy the best and say to **** with the rest.

In this case however, I worry about flipping the 7-iron over for regular cleanings. Then again, with the hose feature, maybe a good clean out with a putty knife isn't needed as often.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #8  
I can be the first to admit I may have made up my mind per-maturely given my nature. I like to buy the best and say to **** with the rest.

In this case however, I worry about flipping the 7-iron over for regular cleanings. Then again, with the hose feature, maybe a good clean out with a putty knife isn't needed as often.

I have a 62 inch and like it alot. While it weighs a bit more than 200 lbs, I'm able to turn it over to clean and I'm not young at 61. The 7-iron is nice and I usually over buy. I do not know if it's a better deck in respects to cutting or just a beefier version. I think a guy should buy what he wants and not be criticized for his decisions, you can never go wrong with the best. I know my X744 is way more tractor than I need, but I also know it will meet my needs for pushing snow and I never will have to be concerned with underbuying or overwhelming it.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #9  
My take on the decks is rolling them on a concrete floor is very easy, wouldn't matter whether it was a 48 or 62 inches. I am short so reaching beneath to hook up the pto is a stretch and more difficult. I would consider the 60" 7 iron deck if purchasing a 2ws model.

/ Deck size = Pro's and Con's #10  
Go too big and cut quality decreases. Don't feel 60" is to big though. The main reason is for being able to fit through your obstacles. I have a 54" deck because I have some tight areas that a larger deck can't fit through - or I'd go larger.