Replacing Front Main seal on 318

/ Replacing Front Main seal on 318 #1  

monster318

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 318
I got a 318 w/ B43 motor, the front main seal is leaking pretty decently. By looking at diagrams online I see that the seal that is leaking is inside a plate that is bolted to the block. I was wondering if it is possible to unbolt this place, remove it from the motor, replace the seal and reinstall this plate??

Here is a picture of what the plate I am refering to looks like:

John Deere(08-E18) 316 318 Onan B43E Bearing Plate | eBay

/ Replacing Front Main seal on 318 #2  
I think that is petty much the same as the P218 engine,so,yes,you can remove that to replace the seal.
You know,if that seal is bad,more than likely,the rear seal in the governor housing is bad too.

Greg

/ Replacing Front Main seal on 318
I dont think so, I am not getting any oil back from that area that i can see...just the front.

/ Replacing Front Main seal on 318 #4  
That one is a real pain in the you know what.Good that yours is still OK.:thumbsup:

/ Replacing Front Main seal on 318
Yeah, hopefully this and some other problems that I have already fixed will be my only problems for awhile. I just upgraded to this 318 from a 112 with electric lift. That thing was causing me more headaches then you could ever imagine. I snow plowed with it in an elderly neighborhood. The first year, it blew the transmission out.(it was done for that season) I rebuilt that. Then the next year the electric lift motor went, Had that rebuilt, same year...shortly after the starter went on it. Then I was having carb issues with it randomly surging. After all that I was DONE with it! So I talked to my cousin who has 7 (YES SEVEN!) 318's. And he had mentioned a friend of his who was selling a really decent shape 1992 318..however it was alittle out of my price range. So he ended up buying it and I bought one of his 318's off of him.

Mine is a 1986 318, 350 hours on it when I got it. Flawless Paint. Came with the 50'' Deck. Paid $1,300 for it. My father had an extra plow that came with his 140 he bought. So he traded me the 112 for the extra plow, which all I had to do was put new hydraulic lines on and was good to go.

SO HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE A GOOD YEAR!!:thumbsup:

/ Replacing Front Main seal on 318 #6  
I'm going to have to replace the front seal on my 83-420 (B48G), same set up (I think). It only leaks when it's warmed up good, but I hate oil leaks! ~~ grnspot

/ Replacing Front Main seal on 318 #7  
According to what I've read, the only way to remove this bearing plate without damage is to use the crankshaft to push it out, that would be after major engine disassembly like connecting rods, flywheel, etc. This comes from the guy from onanparts.com, Your Onan Parts Solution who seems to be pretty knowledgeable on these engines. I will be finding out for myself this spring, when I plan on rebuilding the B48G in my F910.

Jim