My New John Deere LA15 and snow blower

/ My New John Deere LA15 and snow blower #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP
My New John Deere LA115 and snow blower

More updates on the new green mule for those of you following my green soap opera.

As of this afternoon:

Dried off/melted off and warmed up the transmission and motor for the LA115with the space heater.

Added a fuel shut off valve between fuel pump and carburator to reduce ice build up in fuel bowl to a minimum.

Motor oil level was fine, it did not consume a lot of fuel for the 20 minutes or so that I had it running back and forth.

The transmission was very responsive and ran the tractor very well last night. The major problem is the sliding when trying to turn. I may just order/buy the pnuematic casters sonner than later and bolt them to the rear wall of the auger housing and see how well it does with them

The engine was barely breaking a sweat with no lugging at high idle while opening the paths to the coal and wood piles.

I have used Fluid Film on both ends of the cable spout control and it works well-I found a bit of rust on the tube along the cable guide tube.

I also used Fluid film on the chute rotator at the rotating joint swivel and it aided the ease of rotating the chute immensely.

I will spray the wear ring that the chute rides on as well before I use it tonight.

I re-tightened the wing nut securing the stand off for the chute rotator and spout control cable (which is connected to the cargo mount system on the left side of the dashboard, if it loosens up a great deal, I may just use some blue Loctite to eliminate this seasonal vibration issue.

I have yet to spray the interior of the snow blowers housing and the auger(s)
With Fluid Film or cooking spray to add to the slippery factor. This is probably why I had a lot snow build up in the snow blower as I was moving forward with it.

I will run the snow blower when it gets cold tonight to see how well the fluid film aided the impeller drum, augers and the interior of the snow blower behind the augers. I may end up ordering the slick sheet sooner than next month if it still pushes a lot of snow tonight.

I have noticed a few things about the injection molded plastic impeller and the impeller drum.

I think the Snow Blower Impeller would perform even better if the Impeller had six paddles sixty degrees apart instead of three paddles at one hindred twenty degrees apart-perhaps not, but it would reduce the loading on the V belt drive mechanism by 50 percent as the number of impeller paddles is doubled per revolution and reducing the loading to one sixth rather than one third per paddle.

The snow flowing out of the impeller drum was a solid stream even when it was heavy but it may be that the impeller could be improved by adding three more paddles in this regard.

I am unsure if implementing a six paddle impeller would create a starvation condition for the snow blower in this case as the snow blowers augers are flooded with snow as it advances now with the dual open augers and three paddle impeller.

Last edited:
   / My New John Deere LA15 and snow blower
I will pester my wife to borrow the digital camera and post some pics tomorrow if the weather does not turn to crap and ice and rain as per
the forecast.

/ My New John Deere LA15 and snow blower #4  
Excellent ! For me pics are worth a beer !:thumbsup: