330 Garden Tractor Advice

/ 330 Garden Tractor Advice #1  

TMA

Tractor
John Deere 330
Hello everybody. New guy here who is new to lawn and garden tractors as well. I have a 1986 JD 330 garden tractor, 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel, 1200 hrs, mower deck, tiller, snow blower and trailer. I bought it from the original owner this previous fall. It is to mainly be used for mowing and snow blowing but I do have use for the tiller, although not a must have.

The tractor runs well but needs some work. Is this machine worth restoring or am I better off to sell/trade it and get something like a newer X304 and put a snowblower on it? How is the transmission in the 330 for durability compared to a X304?

I have the mechanical ability to restore the tractor myself, just wondering where is the money, time and effort better spent?

Thanks for any and all advice.

T

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 1,944
   / 330 Garden Tractor Advice #2  
Yes that machine will out do anything in its class. 1200 hrs its just getting broke in. As for the hyd. they are just about bullet proof.:thumbsup:Now you ask if it was better then the newer x300 series......... In my opinion its closer to the x700 series tractors or today.

/ 330 Garden Tractor Advice #3  
Hello TMA and :welcome: to TBN!:)
I agree with kansas john.
It is definitely worth the time and money.
If for no other reason,it is for sure a collectible. All the 300 series are,but the 330 was only made that one year (1986)!:thumbsup:

Good luck with your restore.:)

Greg

/ 330 Garden Tractor Advice #4  
Yes that machine will out do anything in its class. 1200 hrs its just getting broke in. As for the hyd. they are just about bullet proof.:thumbsup:Now you ask if it was better then the newer x300 series......... In my opinion its closer to the x700 series tractors or today.

Agree! I had the 322 which was the gas version of the Yanmar. Keep your 330 serviced as called for by Deere, and you will have a work horse for years to come. JD dealers still have parts for the old 300 series so that's not a worry. If you do decide to sell eventually, you can be sure you'll get your investment back. Enjoy it!

/ 330 Garden Tractor Advice #5  
Hiya,

The 318 and the "Diesel 318" AKA 330 are comparable to the x728/748 series according to the people at my dealership. The salesman I deal with pretty much talked me out of the x300 series and suggested that I look for a 318/330 or 400 series tractor for my property.

The x300 series use low end transaxles and there are numerious posts here and elsewhere that they are not holding up well. My 318 is from 1988, I would not expect an x300 series to last that amount of time.

If you do decide to move the 330, give me a shout, I'd love to add a 330 to my fleet.

Tom

/ 330 Garden Tractor Advice
Thanks for all the replies! Well, I am now convinced to keep it and hopefully
begin the restoration process when the weather warms up, and time allows.
(Spring does not come early at almost 7000' elevation)

tomd999 - I will keep you in mind if something changes and I decide
to move it.