X740, or X748.

/ X740, or X748. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
As the title says, which would you choose? Unfortunately my dealer is overpriced, and there is nothing else around short of a 12 hour drive.

I was quoted:

X740, 7-Iron = $12,815
X748, 7-Iron = $15,832

I will be pushing a few inches of snow MAYBE 2 or 3 days of the winter, so that isn't such a big deal. I do however, want to push small piles of horse manure with the snow blade. This is actually fairly light, as it's mostly grass and saw dust mixed in with it.

At these prices it is looking more like a X360 or X540 everyday.

To those who have the X740, would you take a X748 if you could do it over again?

Those of you with X748 machines, do you wish you had the simplicity of the 2WD tractor?

/ X740, or X748. #2  
Not exactly an answer, but a local dealer has a good looking x740 with a standard deck, Powerflo bagger and a spreader for $8495.00 - is zip code 27292 in your range?

/ X740, or X748.
Not exactly an answer, but a local dealer has a good looking x740 with a standard deck, Powerflo bagger and a spreader for $8495.00 - is zip code 27292 in your range?

Not even close :laughing:

I am on the West Coast in Canada.

/ X740, or X748. #4  
I have an X744, essentially a X740 with all wheel steer. If I had steep terrain, I would have gotten a X749. I cannot justify it and the 2 WD is more that adequate at moving loose materials around. After reading the differences in engines, if I hadgotten a X749, I would have preferred a 2010 version. I think it's a heavier duty diesel that one after 2011 and the added front weight is a bonus with the front plow. Have you thought of looking for a very low mileage used? I got mine out the the Illinois and live in eastern Washington. It was well worth it and I went through the website maintained by John Deere for their dealers with used equipment.

/ X740, or X748. #5  
JDTank if you want to PM me your contact information, I know a dealer closer to you than I am that may be able to help...

/ X740, or X748.
I have an X744, essentially a X740 with all wheel steer. If I had steep terrain, I would have gotten a X749. I cannot justify it and the 2 WD is more that adequate at moving loose materials around. After reading the differences in engines, if I hadgotten a X749, I would have preferred a 2010 version. I think it's a heavier duty diesel that one after 2011 and the added front weight is a bonus with the front plow. Have you thought of looking for a very low mileage used? I got mine out the the Illinois and live in eastern Washington. It was well worth it and I went through the website maintained by John Deere for their dealers with used equipment.

I have tried but it's very hard being in Canada, especially the West Coast. The only used machines out here are the Home Depot 100 series, and maybe a few of the X300 series. Even for those machines, the dealers want $500 to $1,000 shy of a brand new unit, why not get the 4 years warranty and know your the first and only to operate the machine?

There are no used X7xx series machines within 1,000 miles of me, from everything I have checked.

I have checked with my dealer and they refuse to service any machine not purchased in Canada, there is absolutely no budging with them on this. If you purchased from any other Country, they want nothing to do with your machine.

Given the lack of used equipment here, the dealer not willing to service out of Country machines, and the fact that I need financing, pretty much forces me into buying a brand new machine locally.

/ X740, or X748. #7  
I have a 2012 x748 and love it. The power difference between 2010 and 2011 is not significant as even though you have less displacement, Deere adjusted the injector pump to compensate. I really like the 7 iron deck and think it is a major step up from the yellow decks. If I were pushing anything I would want AWD. As far as price what you are being quoted does not seem too far out of line from what I paid (close to list)

Andy

/ X740, or X748. #8  
Given what you are using the Garden Tractor for the X740 is more than adequate for your snow removal situation and loose material requirements. If I had to choose between the x500 series or the x700, I would go for the x700 without the 7 iron to save money. Obviously, the 7 iron is a much better deck than the 62 inch I have, but sometimes one has to make compromises. It's just my opinion. The yellow deck will last for years.

/ X740, or X748. #9  
As the title says, which would you choose? Unfortunately my dealer is overpriced, and there is nothing else around short of a 12 hour drive.

I was quoted:

X740, 7-Iron = $12,815
X748, 7-Iron = $15,832

I will be pushing a few inches of snow MAYBE 2 or 3 days of the winter, so that isn't such a big deal. I do however, want to push small piles of horse manure with the snow blade. This is actually fairly light, as it's mostly grass and saw dust mixed in with it.

At these prices it is looking more like a X360 or X540 everyday.

To those who have the X740, would you take a X748 if you could do it over again?

Those of you with X748 machines, do you wish you had the simplicity of the 2WD tractor?
I had $11,400 (cash)out the door price on my 2011 X 740 with deere $350 rebate.Options were susp.seat,front grill gaurd,7 iron deck.coobie

Attachments

• Ford Truck 181.jpg
    Ford Truck 181.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 1,537
   / X740, or X748. #10  
My 748 has been as problem free as any thing I've ever owned. My thoughts are that our winters are likely to get worse and not better for some time with the Sun entering a "quiet period" so that few inches of snow may turn into much more. As for the plowing in 2wd, I seriously doubt you'll have an issue with a pile of manure, as long as the ground is right, but if it's soft or wet that 4wd will come in handy.

Also, not sure if it's a question for you but the 7-Iron deck is a MUST HAVE. I can mow my grass wet, as in when it's raining. The 748 is a spectacular machine. I'd also upgrade to the seat on the 748SE if you can swing it, those arm rests come in awfully handy.

I've had mine for going ton three years, it's got just over 150 hours on it and runs like a top.