John Deere 160 - stopped cutting

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting #11  
I will look at a wiring diagram today if I get a free minute. The seat switch will not keep it from starting. It comes into the circuit after the brake/clutch switch is released.

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting #12  
How many and what color wires are going to what you call the voltage regulator? Do you have power coming into the small purple wire at the starter solonoid with everything hooked up?

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting
There are 5 wires on the plug to the voltage regulator. 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 black, 2 red w/ white stripes.

There is power going to the purple wire on the solenoid when I attempt to start it. So, I took out the spark plug, hooked it up again and turned the engine over. I could not see any spark coming from the plug.

Brian

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting #14  
Just to let you know, I didn't see a clutch or brake switch in the circuit, that mower is from the 80, most of them didn't have brake switches, just a hydro neutral switch.

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting #15  
Ok, so a no spark issue. Pull the engine shroud off. Remove the single wire going to the ignition coil. With the spark plug out as before, but hooked up, crank the engine over and see if there is spark. Yes, then either the ignitor is bad or the wire going to the coil is grounded somewhere. No spark would mean either a bad coil or a badly rusted or missing flywheel magnet. I am leaning towards the grounded wire since it sounds like there were some other possible wiring problems that started this.

Ok, so a no spark issue. Pull the engine shroud off. Remove the single wire going to the ignition coil. With the spark plug out as before, but hooked up, crank the engine over and see if there is spark. Yes, then either the ignitor is bad or the wire going to the coil is grounded somewhere. No spark would mean either a bad coil or a badly rusted or missing flywheel magnet. I am leaning towards the grounded wire since it sounds like there were some other possible wiring problems that started this.

OK, thanks, XP. Will try this tomorrow and post results. I'm hoping to get the tractor going soon, warmer weather has come early this year and the live oaks are already dropping their leaves. The main reason I use this tractor is because it has a grass and leaf bagger. The leaves don't usually fall until sometime in March.

Brian

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting #17  
I could of swore you said a 1986 john Deere 160, which 1 I have never heard of and second you wouldn't have to take a shroud off to get to any coil.

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting #18  
I retract part of my last statement, I looked up the 160 and it would have a coil under the shroud, but no brake switch, just neutral switch

/ John Deere 160 - stopped cutting #19  
Sorry, but the brake switch and the neutral switch are referred to as the same thing at my shop for simplictly reasons. I guess next time I will be more careful in my description.

This problem is getting more and more curious.

I took the shroud off, before going on to the ignition coil I decided to check the spark again. Darn thing cranked right up. Rode it around, the PTO switch came on, seemed to be working fine. Everything is great now, right?

Wrong. I went out this morning to crank it up, and after a couple minutes of very hard starting it cranks up. I revved it up a little bit to check it out, and after about 15 seconds it dies out. Now it won't crank unless the throttle is as far down as possible at idle. When I try to rev, it dies. Immediately. I crank it up again and it will only idle, any attempt to give it any more fuel causes it to die.

The fuel pump appears to be pumping fuel. I cleaned the carb thoroughly, I assume it is working properly, but not sure. I'm still suspecting some kind of electrical problem but I am really stumped.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Brian