Fixed my 345 PTO bearing noise - DIY included

/ Fixed my 345 PTO bearing noise - DIY included #1  

glader

Tractor
John Deere 345
My PTO was making a loud bearing noise when the PTO was not engaged. When I engaged the PTO the noise went away. This was without the mower deck connected. A new PTO is around $170. So here's what I did.

I removed the PTO and diagnosed that the bottom bearing was bad. I replaced the bottom bearing and the noise is completely gone. The bottom bearing only spins when the PTO is disengaged. The top bearing spins all the time. So if there is noise with the PTO engaged or disengaged the top bearing is bad. If the noise goes away when the PTO is engaged, the bottom bearing it bad.

The good news: the bottom bearing is very easy to replace. The bad news: the top bearing doesn't look as easy to replace, though I did try to replace it since mine was not bad.

I fixed this on 2 different tractors. A 2000 325 and a 2001 345. Other models and years may differ in design so this procedure may not be applicable to your model or year. I got the bearings for under $15 each at my local bearing shop. I took a few pictures along the way so others may benefit and not need to buy a $170 PTO because a $15 bearing needs to be replaced. The bottom bearing takes much more side load than the upper bearing which is closer to the crank; therefor is more likely to fail.

DIY takes all of 15-20 minutes if you have all the right tools.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Un-Plug the electrical connecter from the PTO to the fame rail.
Remove the bolt holding the PTO onto the crank. (I used a air impact gun)
Remove the PTO form the crank.

Bottom of PTO with C-clip holding bearing in
IMG_0449.jpg

Take the C-clip off.
IMG_0452.jpg

Hammer out the bearing using 1/2"extention w/3/8" adpater
IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Hammer spacer out of the bearing
IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Press the spacer in the new bearing with a socket and vice.
IMG_0459.jpg

Hammer the spacer and bearing into the PTO pulley using a socket and extension.
IMG_0460.jpg

Put the C-Cip on
IMG_0462.jpg

Check the air gap on the PTO for .012-.018 and adjust if needed.
Put some anti-seize on the crank shaft so the PTO will come off next time.
Put some blue locktite on the PTO bolt
Bolt the PTO back onto the crank shaft.
Plug the electrical connect back up.
Enjoy your quiet PTO...

/ Fixed my 345 PTO bearing noise - DIY included #2  
What a great, useful post. Thank you for taking time to photograph each step and to put captions on the pictures

/ Fixed my 345 PTO bearing noise - DIY included #3  
I am guessing this process isn't much different for other models using the electric PTO, so useful to a lot of us. It totally makes sense about this bearing being the problem most of the time. Thank you!

/ Fixed my 345 PTO bearing noise - DIY included #4  
Thanks for the helpful post and for taking the time to photograph each step of the procedure. My 345 PTO clutch has been making noise for the past couple of years and I have been delaying since I presumed I'd have to replace the clutch assembly and was waiting for the bearing to completely fail before I spent the money. I'll replace the bottom bearing before mowing season begins.

Bill

/ Fixed my 345 PTO bearing noise - DIY included
What a great, useful post. Thank you for taking time to photograph each step and to put captions on the pictures
Thanks, I just wanted to help some others out. I hate throwing something away because of some inexpensive part has gone bad.
I am guessing this process isn't much different for other models using the electric PTO, so useful to a lot of us. It totally makes sense about this bearing being the problem most of the time. Thank you!
You're welcome. I'm not sure how many PTO units come apart this way. I've seen them where instead of the C-clip, there are a few weld spots that would need to be ground off before the lower bearing would come off. Then some new weld spots would need to be done to hold the new bearing in.

It's easy to see if there is a c-clip before even taking the PTO off.

/ Fixed my 345 PTO bearing noise - DIY included #6  
Mine started making this noise this summer. I plan on doing this in the spring, Thanks!