So it begins with my '91 318

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #1  

notmyj

Tractor
looking for 318
Some of you may have seen my other thread, where I just bought a 91 318. I bought it with the front PTO not working. I figured it was just the switch, then started reading up on it then looked at the wiring diagrams of how it is wired.

Wow.... its alot more than a simple switch with a light. I'm sure I am not the first nor thelast to have this problem, but I am wondering if you guys know of good places to start, taking the following into consideration.

Does not engage at any engine speed
Key on, engine off, I can here clicking when I remove and re install the 2 fuses under the hood, at the dash. (Not the same noise as the hour meter clicking of time)
Doesnt matter if im in the seat or not
Dash light does not come on
the pulley on the PTO is difficult to turn by hand
Fuses are good

Is there a better place to start than methodically checking every little part in order? What have you guys seen that would be suspect to cause these symptoms?

Thanks
Dave

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #2  
Hello Dave
Do you know if your seat switch is working. Normally,you have to be sitting in the seat to engage the PTO. You can just jumper the two connections to the seat switch for checking things.
The air gap for the PTO should be .018" with a feeler gauge. There are three slots around the PTO like the one in the picture. The nut with the spring is what you adjust.There are three of those also. That is saying your PTO is like mine. I'm not sure of the other style,but I would assume they should be the same. As for the clicking.you'll know when the PTO engages. It is a very distinct "clunk" type noise.:)

Greg

Attachments

• 316 PTO GAP.jpg
    316 PTO GAP.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 20,743
   / So it begins with my '91 318 #3  
Yes, test the air gap. Have a 322 and had a 318. Had this happen to me and it was the air gap. That pro is not forgiving when it comes to the gap.

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #4  
I took magnet off and sanded as rust kept it from engaging Was stored inside but used with snow blower and put moisture in pro
Bones 72:

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #5  
Seems like a volt meter and a wiring diagram would be the right way to start. Look for 12v at the clutch then work backward, or look for 12v at the switch and work forward. It's not terribly hard to find these problems, but it can be time consuming to follow the diagram and find all the connections. Some manuals will have another diagram that shows the physical location of the electrical components and connectors along with wire colors, etc.

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #6  
Dave,
The best thing in the world you can do for yourself and your 318 is to buy the service and operator's manual, then perform a thorough cleaning of all electrical connections, following by a full basline maintenance.

The immediate problem of the PTO clutch does sound like the air gap requires adjustment.

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #7  
Dave, the suggestion to get the factory service manual is right on - it's not cheap, but will save you a lot of time and trouble. It also includes full wiring diagrams.

Electrical gremlins are common in these older lawn tractors.

Finally, although I don't know if it's kosher to mention it here, weekendfreedommachines.com is a Deere L&G specific forum where you may also find assistance.

Tim

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #8  
You can find out of production tractor tech manuals online for basically nothing.:)

Greg

/ So it begins with my '91 318 #10