GT275 Starter Solenoid Testing

/ GT275 Starter Solenoid Testing #1  

sunsethill4

Tractor
John Deere gt275
Replaced the starter solenoid on my GT275 and connected the battery cables. Without turning the key, the starter solenoid started humming but did not engage the starter. I did not have it attached properly so it did not lift the starter gear. I then took it apart and connected it correctly and now I get nothing.

Can someone suggest a way I can test the starter solenoid and starter on the bench so that I will know if I fried either one?

Thanks!

/ GT275 Starter Solenoid Testing #2  
I believe that a solenoid is a wire coil that generates a magnetic field that moves a metal plunger. A good coil should have no resistance and a burned out coil will show infinite resistance. You can measure that with the ohm meter selection on your multimeter. There could be a mechanical problem with the plunger sliding in and out.

Chris

/ GT275 Starter Solenoid Testing #3  
Replaced the starter solenoid on my GT275 and connected the battery cables. Without turning the key, the starter solenoid started humming but did not engage the starter. I did not have it attached properly so it did not lift the starter gear. I then took it apart and connected it correctly and now I get nothing.

Can someone suggest a way I can test the starter solenoid and starter on the bench so that I will know if I fried either one?

Thanks!

First of all, I need to know if your solenoid has 4 lugs or 3. If only three, then the solenoid's ground is its mount. If 4, then the second small lug is its ground.

So, let's assume you have a 3 lug (the 4 lug procedure is similar but you attach a ground to the second small lug). connect a ground jumper to the mount of the solenoid. Connect a jumper to +12V to the small lug of the solenoid. Using your multimeter on the resistance scale, measure the resistance between the two large lugs. It should be 0 ohms. No multimeter? Connect +12 volts to one small lug, then a test light between ground and the other large lug. The light should illuminate.

Now on to the starter. You'll need at least 6 gauge wire to safely perform this test. You can use automotive jumper cables, but be careful with the large alligator clamps. Put the starter in a vise or secure it extremely well.
Connect the +12 volt lug on the starter to +12 volts. Holding one end of the ground cable (not by the wire), connect the other end to ground. Very briefly touch the end of the ground cable you are holding to the body of the starter. Do so in a sweeping motion so that if the starter is internally shorted, you do not weld the ground wire to the starter body and blow up your battery. The starter should spin if it is good.

/ GT275 Starter Solenoid Testing
It is a 4 lug solenoid. I am going to perform the test you suggest tomorrow evening. Thanks!