x728se

/ x728se #2  
looking to buy a john deere 728se any reason not to pay

?? Reason not to pay? Not to sure what your getting at.

Spend just a few more dollars and step into the X748SE tractor. You will get the diesel engine which will last 2 to 3 times longer, and burn half as much fuel as a gas engine, all while having more torque.

At current fuel prices, it won't take long at all for the initial higher investment of the diesel engine to pay itself back in fuel savings. Not to mention when your replacing your gas engine at 2,000 hours, the guy with the diesel has 3,000 more hours to go before he has to think of doing anything, and it may even go longer. I seen a X748 last month with 6,000 hours on it, and it still sounded beautiful and didn't even hesitate when the deck was engaged, so it still had the torque, even after 6,000 hours.

/ x728se #3  
just my 2cents - i bought the 728SE and was looking at the upgrade but after talking with the dealer on how many hours it would take to recoup the extra money spent to me it wasn't worth it.

figure 2hrs a week cutting grass for say 6 months 48hrs
figure 2hrs a month snowblowing for 6 months 12hrs

60hrs total on the high side - total snowblowing this year is 40 minutes for the entire season so it would be safe to say that I would use my tractor about 50hrs a year average. If it takes 1,000hrs to recoup the extra cost of the diesel that is 20years, and I know the gas motor will last me that many hours easy, and I don't have to buy a new diesel fuel can.

That, and I have never worked on a diesel motor before. I did however get a screaming deal on my unit.

/ x728se #4  
I wouldn't argue that it is cost effective but I simply liked the x749 the best.

/ x728se #5  
You should always consider residual or resale value even if you're not planning on selling any time soon. Assume something like 20% premium on resale for diesel, or something like that. Still a long payback period with 50hrs of use per year, but something less than the 20 years you're coming up with.

/ x728se #6  
I don't believe the payback is there either. In Resale, you'll likely get about the difference you pay up front. The gasser will run a long long time. Only get the diesel if you want the extra torque, love diesels, or just want to one-up the neighbor.

/ x728se #7  
I looked at the X728 and the X748. Ended up with the X748se. Love it. Nothing wring with the as model, but I just love the low maintenance of the diesels. I tried a X749 and talked to my dealer about them. I found the AWS unnecessary for me. The X748 has a 24" turning radius and I wanted the 7 iron deck with is a significient step up from any of the yellowo decks.

Andy

/ x728se #8  
I looked at the X728 and the X748. Ended up with the X748se. Love it. Nothing wring with the as model, but I just love the low maintenance of the diesels. I tried a X749 and talked to my dealer about them. I found the AWS unnecessary for me. The X748 has a 24" turning radius and I wanted the 7 iron deck with is a significient step up from any of the yellowo decks.

Andy

I think the 748 with a 7 iron deck is an excellent choice where mowing is the main concern, the deck is a great choice. I use my 749 for close quarters work where the larger tractors can't fit. In my case I went with the 48" deck for reduced width. While it is a decent deck it pales by comparison to the 60" 7 iron that Andy has.