new member John Deere 316

/ new member John Deere 316 #1  

dbiddix

Tractor
John Deere 316
Im new to tractors (well lawn tractors) and just wanted to get some info. I just bought a john deere 316 and the person i bought it from did not go over anything about it so all my knowledge (little at that) is comming from the internet. I dont even have a owners manual. I did find a free snow blade (a plus) but the front 3 hole brackets (that allows it do actually dig) are broken and the blade has been worn down to where replaceable bottom edge cannot be replaced and missing (ground passed the mounting holes).

Just some info on me......

Thanks Darrell

/ new member John Deere 316 #2  
welcome ! Its been many years since I have seen one, but I bet you can get the manual ( service) on that tractor on ebay as original or maybe as on a CD.
As I recall my neighbor had one and it was a very smooth and nice tractor. Think it had a great Kholer engine too..
Good luck!

/ new member John Deere 316 #3  
I just performed this function and found many sources. Just go on the Internet and type in "Owners Manuals JD 316". Good Luck.:tractor:

/ new member John Deere 316 #4  
Hello Darrell
Very good info given.You can find just about anything by searching the 'net.
If you need any questions about your 316 answered let me know. I just about completely redid mine a couple years ago.

Greg

/ new member John Deere 316 #5  
Im new to tractors (well lawn tractors) and just wanted to get some info. I just bought a john deere 316 and the person i bought it from did not go over anything about it so all my knowledge (little at that) is comming from the internet. I dont even have a owners manual. I did find a free snow blade (a plus) but the front 3 hole brackets (that allows it do actually dig) are broken and the blade has been worn down to where replaceable bottom edge cannot be replaced and missing (ground passed the mounting holes).

Just some info on me......

Thanks Darrell

Welcome !!!

As for the Snow Blade / Worn... you can go to Homedepot of Lowes and get a Steel Piece and Drill some Holes just like the old one and then mount that back with some Bolts and Nuts... If the Ground passed some holes.... You need to CUT it off and make NEW HOLES... A buddy of mine just did it to his Blade. Althoug it is 2" Shorter... But it still works... LOL

As far for Manuals, most want you to pay like Ebay, LOL but Search around... Sometimes you can use Google as a CACHE and than see the Link PDF file and then search from there or Type in the URL yourself and sometimes it will work too.

You can cheat if by using like: http://www.partstree.com/ you don't get a written Manual, but at least for Parts with Pix :) and the Part Number, that comes handy sometimes too, LOL also maybe that will help you understand. There is another Site that is helpful to me... TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned

Is this Yours? LOL

http://john-perry.com/tractor/john.html

LOL
Anyway, good luck...

/ new member John Deere 316
Welcome !!!

As for the Snow Blade / Worn... you can go to Homedepot of Lowes and get a Steel Piece and Drill some Holes just like the old one and then mount that back with some Bolts and Nuts... If the Ground passed some holes.... You need to CUT it off and make NEW HOLES... A buddy of mine just did it to his Blade. Althoug it is 2" Shorter... But it still works... LOL

As far for Manuals, most want you to pay like Ebay, LOL but Search around... Sometimes you can use Google as a CACHE and than see the Link PDF file and then search from there or Type in the URL yourself and sometimes it will work too.

You can cheat if by using like: http://www.partstree.com/ you don't get a written Manual, but at least for Parts with Pix :) and the Part Number, that comes handy sometimes too, LOL also maybe that will help you understand. There is another Site that is helpful to me... TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned

Is this Yours? LOL

My Tractor Page

LOL
Anyway, good luck...

Thank you guys for all your info. Im sure i will be using this site as well as the ones mentioned.

/ new member John Deere 316 #7  
Also realize that there were TWO different 316's - different engines and hydraulic systems. You need to know which one you have...

The 316 Kohler was only made one year. It is a closed frame model almost identical to the 300 tractors. It had 2 hydraulic circuits and used the singe cylinder Kohler engine.

The second, and more common is the 316 onan - made later and for several years. It is an open frame tractor, only had 1 hydraulic circuit, and used the 2 cylinder onan engine. This was more of a stripped down version of the 318.

Different frames, engines, hydraulic circuits - the two models had very little in common, but are easily identifiable. Worst case, take your serial number to your local Deere dealer and they can tell you what you have.

/ new member John Deere 316
Thank you very much for the info. I have alot to learn about this machine and the attachments. I think I have the "Onan" model because I do not have a rear PTO. Thannks again for your info.

Also realize that there were TWO different 316's - different engines and hydraulic systems. You need to know which one you have...

The 316 Kohler was only made one year. It is a closed frame model almost identical to the 300 tractors. It had 2 hydraulic circuits and used the singe cylinder Kohler engine.

The second, and more common is the 316 onan - made later and for several years. It is an open frame tractor, only had 1 hydraulic circuit, and used the 2 cylinder onan engine. This was more of a stripped down version of the 318.

Different frames, engines, hydraulic circuits - the two models had very little in common, but are easily identifiable. Worst case, take your serial number to your local Deere dealer and they can tell you what you have.

/ new member John Deere 316 #9  
Rear pto doesn't define it - both had the option of a rear pto.

As you sit on the machine are there 2 handles on the left side engine cover next to the steering wheel or just one? 2 would be the Kohler, 1 would be the onan.

Or open the hood. Kohler will have 1 spark plug lead on top of the engine. The onan will have 2 spark plugs (and spark plug leads), one on each cylinder bank sticking off to the side.

/ new member John Deere 316 #10  
Just look at the serial number.
All the Onan 316 serial numbers started with an M.:)
Big sticker should be right above your choke knob.

Greg