rear tiller for the JD 316

/ rear tiller for the JD 316 #1  

dbiddix

Tractor
John Deere 316
Im kind of confused a bout the tiller for the 316. It does not have rear hyrdolics so does it connect to the mule drive and use the rear hyrdolic to lower and raise it. I believe its a model 31 tiller. They are very hard to find. Does anyone know where I could find a cheap one? I live in the rural Kansas City missouri area.

Thanks
Darrell

/ rear tiller for the JD 316 #2  
The 31 tiller fits the 200 series lawn and garden tractors. It bolts to the back of the tractor and is lifted by the mower deck lift lever. It is a belt driven unit. My books don't show it fitting the 300 series. The 300 series use the 33 tiller. That info is from the books I have covering the JD lawn and garden line from 74-83. Hope this helps.

/ rear tiller for the JD 316 #3  
I've got a 317 and a 33 tiller. 300 series tillers use the mower deck hydraulics to raise/lower the tiller and the rear PTO to drive the tiller gear box. I actually am ready to part with my 33 tiller if you in the mood for drive south (Dallas)

/ rear tiller for the JD 316
Thank you guys for the information. It is very helpfull. Nick, Mine does not have a PTO plus south Dallas is pretty far away. Thank you again for the help im sure I will have plenty more questions since this is my first "real" lawn mower. I currently have the mower deck completly apart and painting it but I have to hurry mowing season is just around the corner.