My first JD...X310? X320?

/ My first JD...X310? X320? #1  

BlackDogKurt

Tractor
N/A
Hi, I'm looking to purchase my first John Deere, and actually my first lawn tractor, if you don't count my old 6 h.p. Snapper riding mower 30 years ago (which never died!). I'd love any advice or comments though.

First, a little background about what I need...

I'm moving to a new house with roughly an acre of lawn to mow. Has a few slopes but nothing major, plus some curves and irregular shaped areas. There are a couple trees to mow around but not many. Probably 90% of what I need the mower for is cutting the lawn. The rest will be hauling mulch, soil, etc, and pulling an aerator yearly, plus snow removal in the winter. Last winter, we got a ton of snow (very unusual) and this winter we got nothing worth shoveling or plowing (also unusual). I know the advantages of a snow blower over a blade, but given the rarity of heavy snows where I live and with nearly $1K in added cost for the blower over the blade (plus, I think plowing may be more fun), I think I want to start with a snow blade for now.

I started off looking at the D130 and D140, which really would have been perfectly fine for all my summer needs, but finally talked myself up to the X304 for something a little heavier for the plowing. Plus, the 4WS looked like it would come in handy for the curves on my property.

I've since talked myself up to the new X310. I really like the idea of power steering, the hydraulic lift, and the beefier transmission over the X304 (from everything I read, the heavier tranny seems like a good investment.)

I'm really at the top of my budget now, especially since I also plan to get:
- front bumper
- winter grille cover
- mulch kit
- 17P poly cart
- 40-inch plug aerator
- 44-inch front blade
- manual angling kit
- quik-tatch weights for the rear
- front wheel weights
- 12-Volt Work Light Kit

Questions -
1) Does the X310 with above options sound like it will suit my needs just fine? I definitely can't afford to move up much more in price and I'd like to buy something new.
2) Is there any solid advantage of going with the X320, which is about $200 more than the X310? The only thing that I'm not sure I like about the X310 is the larger turning radius compared to models without p/s and especially those with 4WS. Also, the dealer told me that the rear wheel weights I wanted and the dual rear bucket holder were both "N/A" with the X310, although those are very minor issues. The only other thing the X320 seems to add is a more powerful engine (nice, but maybe not needed for my needs?) and larger tires (any advantage?). But, I lose the power steering and the hydraulic lift with the X320. I would probably want add the electric lift option if I bought the X320, but now we are bumping up the price by another $500, or almost $700 total. That seems like a lot just for a tighter turning radius. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I just can't wait to get whatever I finally decide to buy!! :D

/ My first JD...X310? X320? #2  
I have recently purchased a new x310. I have about 10 hours on it. I absolutely love the power steering and deck lift. I previously had a la165 (d170) and traded it in. I had alot of transmission issues with 80 hours on it. One of the biggest reasons I went with the x310 was the heavy duty serviceable k58 transmission. I also likes the fact that it had a 42inch deck instead of the 48 inch that requires the $900 power flow bagger. I cut about a 1/4 of an acre. I know it's over kill to have a tractor this size to use but it's a very hilly terrain. From what I see as the difference between the x310 and the x320 other than the power steering and power deck lift is 3 1/2 horsepower and the difference in deck size. In my opinion, after using for 10 hours I'm not going to miss the horsepower as much as I love the power steering. It's top shelf. Good luck with your decision!

/ My first JD...X310? X320? #3  
BlackDogKurt,,

You seem to have a handle on the difference, I think it is a judgement call.

/ My first JD...X310? X320? #4  
I have recently purchased an x310. I have about 10 hours on it now. Prior to I had a la165 (D170) and had transmission issues after 80 hours. I wanted something with a serviceable transmission. I too was toying with the idea of a x320 but became turned off with the 48 in h deck and the $900 power flow bagger. The power steering on the x310 is unbelievable. I never thought I needed power steering on a tractor with 6" front wheels but what a difference it makes. I cut a 1/4 acre of grass and the 48" deck was just too big. From what I understand the hydraulic deck lift and power steering was partially designed to work with the snow blower attachment. I am not sure but I think u can modify the "work bucket" option from the D seekers tractor to work on the x series. I would not purchase anything less than the X310 based on my experience of owning the la series and the x series. Bothe the x310 and x320 would be perfect. I think after using the power steering I lean more to the x310

/ My first JD...X310? X320?
Yeah, I am leaning towards the X310 too. I did stop by today for my first closer look at the property we are buying and I actually think the lawn area is closer to about 1-1/4 acres now that I see it again. Also, it is not quite as curved as I thought, so I don't think the larger turning radius of the X310 would a problem at all. However, now that I saw how much lawn there is, I am wondering if I might prefer a 48" cut over a 42" cut. Hmmm....also, I forgot to mention that the driveway is about 150 feet long with a slope, although I think I should have no problem plowing and piling snow in the down slope direction.

/ My first JD...X310? X320? #6  
I have an X534, and though a bit bigger than the 300 series machines, I love the power steering and deck lift and after I got used to the 4ws I wouldn't want to do without that either. This is the start of my third season with the x534. I have just under an acre to tend. Its been great and the snowblower beats the heck out of shoveling. I wish I had got a snowblower attachment for my previous JD 14 years ago. I too said that plowing sounded like more fun. Wrong! it was nothing but more WORK!!

Go with the blade for now but save your pennies for a snowblower, you won't be sorry.

/ My first JD...X310? X320? #7  
Yeah, I am leaning towards the X310 too. I did stop by today for my first closer look at the property we are buying and I actually think the lawn area is closer to about 1-1/4 acres now that I see it again. Also, it is not quite as curved as I thought, so I don't think the larger turning radius of the X310 would a problem at all. However, now that I saw how much lawn there is, I am wondering if I might prefer a 48" cut over a 42" cut. Hmmm....also, I forgot to mention that the driveway is about 150 feet long with a slope, although I think I should have no problem plowing and piling snow in the down slope direction.

Go with the bigger deck - it will make a big difference in getting closer to obstacles. I bumped up from a 48" to 60" and it really cut down on time spent with the trimmer.

I know a plow seems like a good idea, and it's certainly cheaper than a snowblower, but the 310 and a plow is not enough to clear the heavy snow you'll sometimes get in Connecticut. Save up for the blower!

/ My first JD...X310? X320? #8  
I'd agree with Steve- "I think it is a judgement call." No seat time on a X310 but I do have a 2007 X320 (48" deck, 44" snowblower, 10P cart, work bucket) that turned over 500 hours this winter. For me I didn't see the need for power steering or the hydraulic lift- the X320 surprised me with its low effort steering and tight turning radius compared to others I've driven over the years ..... and that's from someone with hip and knee replacements. With the snowblower mounted the extra weight hanging out front is definitely noticeable on dry pavement (backing into the garage) but on snow though I find the steering effort higher than when the mower deck is installed, it's still quite reasonable . Truthfully I don't think you would go wrong with either one ..... I'd try them both out and decide which is more important to you- the power steering/ hydraulic lift or the extra deck width/ more power/ tighter turning radius.

For an acre or so I don't think the smaller deck will be too big a deal as far as mowing time goes. In any event I'd do a walk around the property with a tape measure and make sure whatever deck size you end up with will go where you want it to go like through gates, between trees and other landscaping etc. ...... sometimes bigger isn't always better.

The plow- if you have room on the sides of the driveway to push the snow you should be ok most of the time but I'd wager a Washington or two sooner or later you will get a storm where the plow will be overmatched.

The work bucket- I have the single one and hesitated about buying it thinking it might be a frivolous purchase ....... wouldn't be without it now. Tools, rope, seed, fertilizer or fill it with ice and bottled water on hot days ..... it's useful.

The 17P trailer- don't overload it! Four decades ago I was a fence installer in your neck of the woods and thought the rocks were bad then but it's paradise compared to what I deal with now (the two nearby quarries should have given me a clue :eek: ). Every year I haul numerous loads of rocks my vegetable patch and elsewhere on our 2 1/2 acres. A full load of rocks in the 10P is working the hydro unit pretty hard. A full load of rocks in the 17P might be too much.

Last edited:
   / My first JD...X310? X320? #9  
I would also get the 48 inch deck if it will clear everything you go through or around. When I purchased my 540 last summer, I did not realize at the time how much I would appreciate the power steering and lift. I too mow about one and a quarter acres of sloping land around oak trees. Great machines. Good luck.