LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change)

/ LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change) #1  

callmezonk

Tractor
JD LX280
Does the seat and deck have to be pulled to change the oil to access filling?

/ LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change) #2  
Slide the seat all the way forward, then flip the seat up to access the Fill Port.

/ LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change)
Update- Contacted Tuff Torq and got all of the instruction. Recommended using 5W50 Synthetic which I did (Castrol). It really was not hard at all other than purging the air out. Back to the 'Fill' line and it drives great forward and reverse.:thumbsup:

/ LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change) #4  
Glad to hear you got it done!
Did your transmission have a drain plug or did you have to get the old oil out some other way? (The LX280 that I owned did NOT have a drain plug).

There are (2) larger bolts underneath the transmission than the rest of the bolts. You can tell the difference by size and the fact that they have washers. The diagram depicts the locations that was sent to me from Tuff Torq.

What did you end up replacing your LX280 with?

/ LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change) #6  
I really don't think mine had those drain plugs. I looked and couldn't find any, and my dealer's service manager confirmed that there weren't any. I think mine was originally purchased in 2004. I bought it just before Christmas of 05 and it still had 7 months of factory warranty left.

I traded it for a new X740 with the 62C deck in April or May of '06. The X740 now has over 560 hours on it with no major problems. I have replaced one small bracket (broken), the fuel filter housing (a hose barb came out of the casting) and one deck gage wheel & axle assembly (worn out). A total of less than $100 in parts.

I mow almost 3 acres and have some very steep areas (close to 30 degree inclines). The LX280 did a fine job of mowing my yard (I did have the rear tires loaded with fluid for traction on the inclines) but it just took longer than I wanted. It was an excellent machine and would have no problem with an average sized lawn.

Was your LX280 water cooled? Oh yeah... that was the LX279 model that was water cooled... my wrong.

I've read about filling the tires with liquid? How do you do that? The previous owner had the sidewall plugged... I don't think I'll be able to fill them. I'd like to put bar tires on it but they don't have the size. Well one brand does but it does not look like a great design (Chevron). I don't want to go with a different size to offset the deck.

The X740 is a nice model. With an upgrade like that it's hard to complain and the little amount that you've spent on it is a compliment to JD's reputation.

Last edited:
   / LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change) #8  
Yes, it had the standard air-cooled engine.

For the LX280, I purchased one of those special liquid-to-air valves (~7 or 8 dollars at Tractor Supply). I attached a few feet of hose with a large funnel clamped to the other hose end, then hung the funnel up in a wooden bracket held in a vise (so the funnel was supported several feet above the tire & wheel laying on the shop floor). I then procceded to pour winter formula winshield washer fluid into the funnel, stopping ocasionally to let air out with the special valve. This worked well, but was very slow.

I also have liquid in the X740 tires (AG style, bar treads). I just removed the tires & wheels, layed them on their sides and broke the top side of the tires loose from the rims (I did place a piece of wood between the bottom of the rim & the floor to keep the bottom of the rim seated in the tire, then poured the washer fluid directly into the tire. I suspect you can't get as complete a fill this way, but I put ten gallons in each tire this way. Amazing how much those tires will hold!! I think I had about eight gallons in each of the LX280 tires.

Anyway, the liquid makes a big difference in traction and also makes the mower less "bouncy", if you have any rough spots to drive over. Good luck on whatever you do!

I found a set of bar tires on Ebay for $60.15/each. If I decide to go to that route I'll most likely go the same route and fill them. Did it make the LX280 that much slower?

/ LX280 K62 Hydro question (oil change) #10  
I also had liquid installed in the rear tires of my 3520, I didn't notice any speed difference on it or either of the lawn tractors.