john deere sabre lawn tractor

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor #1  

frankarelli10

Tractor
John Deere sabre
I have a 2002 john deere saber lawn mower, and I'm having troubles starting it. Do they have problems with the starters?

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor #2  
I have a 2002 john deere saber lawn mower, and I'm having troubles starting it. Do they have problems with the starters?

need more info. Your having troubles meaning what? It turns over but wont start or wont turn over at all? What did you check so far?
Check battery voltage?
Check ignition switch?
Fuel?

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor #3  
I am not aware of problems with Sabre starters, but they were a cheap tractor back in the day, so it wouldn't surprise me if stuff started breaking on a 10 year old model. This was one of Deere's budget models for sale at Lowes and Home Depot.

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor
I am not aware of problems with Sabre starters, but they were a cheap tractor back in the day, so it wouldn't surprise me if stuff started breaking on a 10 year old model. This was one of Deere's budget models for sale at Lowes and Home Depot.

Thank-You s219,
Im just looking at buying one used and just wanted to know if their were any common problems with that line of lawn mowers... thanks again and have a good one.

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor #5  
Thank-You s219,
Im just looking at buying one used and just wanted to know if their were any common problems with that line of lawn mowers... thanks again and have a good one.

in your first post you said you were having problems starting it:confused:

in your first post you said you were having problems starting it:confused:

Yes, the gentleman that has it said it needs a starter. Im looking into that john deers tractor info. So I can make a sound decision and possibly buy it at a good price, ya know just doing research before I purchase it. He wants $800.00 for it and it needs a starter, it also has low hours and comes with a dump cart behind it. Im probably going to offer $500.00 for the tractor... Thanks, frankarelli

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor #7  
It might not be the starter, could be the key switch getting old, or the solenoid
or even the fusable link.

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor #8  
If it does nothing, check the clutch/brake safety switch. Common problem on older units.

It might not be the starter, could be the key switch getting old, or the solenoid
or even the fusable link.

Thank-You forgeblast, I've found out that it was the starter... thanks again for the help! Frankarelli

/ john deere sabre lawn tractor #10  
Thank-You forgeblast, I've found out that it was the starter... thanks again for the help! Frankarelli

I had one for 10 years that i sold a couple years ago. I let it go for $500 with a 48" snow blade and bagger. It was kept indoors and was in fine shape. No motor, tranny, or electrical problems and good tires. Yours with starter problems might be worth less.