Cleaning a JD GT 245

/ Cleaning a JD GT 245 #1  

dockthescot

I own GT 245. As a general rule of thumb, is it okay to use a pressure washer to clean my tractor? (i.e. under the hood, etc. ) If not, what is suggested?

/ Cleaning a JD GT 245 #2  
I don't pressure wash, nor wash very often for that matter.
But after every use, I blow the entire tractor and deck off using an air compressor and a 2' wand. I find very little dust and debris clinging to the "under the hood" parts using just air.

Occasionally I will wash it down with car wash soap, rinse and dry. Then polish with pledge when good and dry.
I find Simple Green as a very good cleaner to wash the deck of grass stain and pollen sticking to it, as well as cleans up the rims real well when wash day comes around.

/ Cleaning a JD GT 245 #3  
I agree with using Simple Green on the deck and engine. I used it on my previous LT155. One note- do not use it on the hood because the degreaser leaves white spots in the plastic. Call it a learning lesson for me... never again.

/ Cleaning a JD GT 245 #5  
About every other season I pressure wash my LX255, my Yard Man and To-30 just being careful where I spray. Usually soaking first with Simple Green and rinsing with pressure. I start them right away and drive dry them before wiping it down and lubing it up. JD still looks new after 10 years, Yard Man is still going after 17 years and good ole' Fergy is now about 60.

/ Cleaning a JD GT 245 #6  
When using a pressure washer on a tractor, first locate all the electrical components that water will impact. Fuse box, alternator, ignition switch, etc. Stay away from with any water source, hose or pressure washer.Also stay away from areas that have a grease or fluid seal with a high pressure - pressure washer. High pressure water will compromise seals.

/ Cleaning a JD GT 245 #7  
I service tractors regularly. All gets pressure washed. Tractor, engine & deck. Care as to the intake/air cleaner.