GT 262 transmission problems

/ GT 262 transmission problems #1  

Molerj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 955, 1978 Economy Power King, JD X500
I am working on a JD GT262 that has the tuff torq by Kanzaki transmission. Belt is good and installed correctly. The problem is once you shift into a gear, you can't shift out unless you shut it down. Clutch does nothing more than release tension on the belt. Brake will stop the pulley from turning but it still won't shift out of gear. Oil level is fine in transmission.

/ GT 262 transmission problems #2  
You need more slack in the drive belt (when the clutch is depressed). I am not familiar with that exact model, but many of the JD's have an idler pulley on that belt that is mounted to the tractor frame in a slotted hole (near the engine). You loosen the pulley retaining nut and then slide that pulley (and it's mounting hardware) in the slot, to adjust belt tension.

/ GT 262 transmission problems
That was the first thing I checked out, John. There is plenty of slack in belt when the clutch is depressed

/ GT 262 transmission problems #4  
You posted the following in another forum:
"I have observed that when started in nuetral, clutch and brake engaged, that the transmission pulley turns even though the belt is loose."

If all the pulleys and the belt are correct and in good conditions: then the belt is too tight. That pulley should NOT be turning with the clutch depressed and the trans in neutral.

/ GT 262 transmission problems #5  
Is it the Deere belt?

/ GT 262 transmission problems
John, I understand what you are saying but when you depress the clutch it puts slack in the belt. There is no type of brake etc. to hold the belt from turning. From the natural friction of the belt going around the engine pulley it tends to grab and keep turning. Now if you put a load on it with that much slack it will naturally stop. And yes, this is a John Deere belt. I replaced this belt a few years back and service this tractor regularly. The belt is in excellent condition. Believe me, I see belts in pretty bad condition that is still powering the tractor. Possibly wear on the "v" of the belt will cause it to fall deeper in the pulley, resulting in it turning more than slipping? I guess I can try a new belt. Hate to be a parts changer.