JD LA140 (Home depot) runs fine then dies...

/ JD LA140 (Home depot) runs fine then dies... #1  

manganos

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2516
I thought it was a fuel filter since when I replaced it, the mower ran fine for another hour or so. Then it happened again. I replaced the fuel filter again and put new fuel in it. Same thing.

Come to find out if I disconnect the fuel line and put it back it works again w/o changing the fuel filter. I put a clear fuel filter on last time and I can see that it looses prime. What could be the issue? Next time I'm going to try and vent the gas tank. When it shuts off I crank it and see fuel try to get up to the carb but it doesn't.

Thanks for any input!

/ JD LA140 (Home depot) runs fine then dies... #2  
Sounds like your tank vent may be plugged and enough fuel is removed to create a vacuum greater than the suction of the pump or the natural flow of the fuel. Next time remove the filler cap an see if it corrects itself, or check for debris or fuel treatment cap-washer in the tank that might restrict flow at the fuel tank pick-up.

/ JD LA140 (Home depot) runs fine then dies...
Thanks, I'm going to try that the next time I mow.

/ JD LA140 (Home depot) runs fine then dies... #4  
that same thing happened to me.there is a real small hole on top of your gas cap just open that hole up and it will pressurize your lines.

/ JD LA140 (Home depot) runs fine then dies... #5  
When I purchased my JD LA120 from the dealer, he said to be sure to
open the gas cap if it died. They had several tractors come back in
and the only problem was the gas cap vent. Mine has not done it, but
that seems to be a good starting point.