John Deere 318, a dream--or not

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Ever since I have known about and used John Deere Equipment, I have been impressed with the JD 318 tractor. Onan engine, two lever hydraulics, etc. My dealer thinks I am crazy as he sold a bunch of them many years ago and proclaims them "nothing special." He also, rightly so, says Onan parts are getting hard to find these days. Nonetheless, if I could afford one just for the sake of having it I would love to get one. I have searched EBAY and various posts and have seen a few but am not clear how much work a 700-800 hour machine may need. Most of the ones advertised are pretty rough--some are not--but I am looking mainly for a turn-key deal that would mow and run. My other dream tractor of this type is the 8199 Professional with the 60" deck from Gravely. We (my family) actually have an 8193KT 1982 model that croaked out with around 3000 hours on it. I have thought about trying to restore it but do not have the time to coordinate getting all that done. The 8199, also with an Onan Performer engine was the daddy of that line. Yes, the engine was finicky, but did it pull and make some power!! Any suggestions on how best to look for a high quality nice 318 that would require little if any reconditioning?

John M

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #2  
My dealer thinks I am crazy as he sold a bunch of them many years ago and proclaims them "nothing special."

Hi John
Maybe "many years" ago they weren't,but the number still going strong today will attest to just how special they really are. I wanted a 318,but decided whichever came first,318,or 316,because I really didn't care about power steering or the added hydro controls as it was just going to be a grass cutter for the areas the 2520 was too much for.
I ended up with a 316 that hadn't seen much attention. I had to put a few bucks into it,but it was well worth the time and effort.
I think one that was well taken care of is going to be the rule if you want a nice turn key machine,and more than likely the price will be on the high side of 2 to 2,500,or more. Then again,you never know the circumstances you may happen into.
My P218G Onan had 970 hours,and other than a little smoke when you rev 'er,it's still a very strong engine. I would look for a later model (after 1986,I think) with the 218 Onan and electronic ignition. Hopefully others will chime in with more pertinent advice too.:)
Good luck in your quest.

Greg

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #3  
Check the classifieds at weekendfreedommachines.com. There's a 318 on there right now that looks like a good deal.

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #4  
The expected life of the Onan is 1000-1500 hours, then they blow up.

I had one I bought less engine and put a Kohler Command V twin in and loved it. Sold it and bought a 420 I also repowered.

I have a 332 (diesel version of the 318) and that is an awsome tractor.

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #5  
I would rather buy one cheap say $1500 and spend another $1500 for a fresh engine than spend $2500 for one that supposedly still runs fine. If anything happens to the onan you will likely have to go the repower route anyway.

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #6  
Yup, the older Onans didn't have a very long life expectancy, our 420 heaved a valve seat, the 316 spun a cam bearing, hard to adjust points when the cam is flopping around.

Replacment Onans on both tractors held up great, the 316 is still going strong (for a friend) today.

Ed

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #7  
The expected life of the Onan is 1000-1500 hours, then they blow up.

I agree,and disagree with this statement.
Why just an Onan? Any engine is capable of "letting go" at those hours of use.
More so one that hasn't been taken care of. There are plenty of Onans out there with well over 2 to 3000 hours on them still purring along like the day they were first started. Where is this "expected life" of an Onan in writing.
I suspect you won't find it anywhere.
I've had mine apart when I bought this thing with 900 hours on it,and like I stated,it wasn't taken care of,but the internals of this Onan are just fine.There is another 1000 hours on this thing for sure.
Don't knock my Onan!!
Done ranting.:)

Greg

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #8  
Im new here so Im not even going to wade in on the Onan subject.

To the OP, I would look for a machine that runs but needs some work and fix it up over time.

This way if something breaks you still dont have "Too Much" into it and can afford to replace an engine.

With a new quality engine a 318 will last another 20-25 years if kept up on.

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #9  
I have a 318 that I bought fairly cheap a few years ago. I ended up having to replace the motor on it not long after that. I can't say the Onan's are good or bad but I had mine replaced with a 20hp Honda and love that little tractor. Mow the yard with it then less than a couple min I can slide the deck out and be breaking my garden up.

/ John Deere 318, a dream--or not #10  
I think sometimes about getting my '89 318 going again but when I see the prices for Onan parts I just forget about doing it. Actually the 318's were WAY, WAY overbuilt chassis wise compare the weight of one to what passes as a garden tractor today.