john deere 160

/ john deere 160 #1  

edwards200516

Tractor
john deere 160
I have a john deere 160 and I have been having problems with the mowing deck not tiring on? I replaced the switch thinking that was it and nothing. I check voltage at pto and no voltage. Is it the voltage the? My battery re charges fine but can't mow the grass? Any ideas??

/ john deere 160 #2  
I have a 160 also, what may have happened is that the belt slips off or the belt has been pulled so its longer then it should be. Is the belt run the right way?

/ john deere 160
Ya belt is ran correct. I had problems last year and I would sand the contacts on switch and it would work that's why I thght it was switch. But it didn't work when I replaced it.

/ john deere 160 #4  
But its a mechanical level that engages the pto, when you flip the level to the 12 oclock position it pulls the pully under the tractor which takes the slack out of the belt and allows the mower to run. unless its not starting and then its the safety sensor. those I replace every couple of years. (is it a newer lt160 mine is a 2003).

/ john deere 160 #5  
John Deere has two model 160 lawn tractors. The first is from the 1980's and is numbered just 160. The later model is the LT160. I have the earlier version which has a electric PTO for the mower deck. My 160 has a connector in the wiring harness to the electric clutch. You might want to check and make sure its together.

/ john deere 160 #6  
I have a john deere 160 and I have been having problems with the mowing deck not tiring on? I replaced the switch thinking that was it and nothing. I check voltage at pto and no voltage. Is it the voltage the? My battery re charges fine but can't mow the grass? Any ideas??

Did you check your seat switch?

Your PTO power also comes through your ignition switch which could be the culprit depending on the style of switch.

/ john deere 160 #7  
Did you check your seat switch?

Your PTO power also comes through your ignition switch which could be the culprit depending on the style of switch.

I have an lt160 John Deere garden tractor. It runs great until it warms up then it begins to stall out.when you restart it, it puts out black smoke. This model comes with an electric fuel pump. Any idea what could be causing the problem. It has a Kohler 14 hp engine.

/ john deere 160 #8  
...It runs great until it warms up then it begins to stall out.when you restart it, it puts out black smoke...
My guess is the head gasket... not that hard of a job to check or replace. undo the bolts for the head and check it...

/ john deere 160 #9  
John Deere has two model 160 lawn tractors. The first is from the 1980's and is numbered just 160. The later model is the LT160. I have the earlier version which has a electric PTO for the mower deck. My 160 has a connector in the wiring harness to the electric clutch. You might want to check and make sure its together.[/QUOTE

The switch on the electric clutch is on the front right under the exhuast? Would this switch go bad?